First Build + Slow Build

PhatShaggy

Hey, so I have been looking at building a PC for years and I think I've finally decided on a build that is both sylish and powerful without breaking the bank. I'm definitely not ready for water cooling but I got a case that can handle it if I decide in the future to do it. Also I can not afford the 2080s or 2080TIs and 1080TIs are so hard to find I figured I was better off with the 2070 because it performs about the same.

Now I'm not a money bags baller rich kid and I have bills and I don't save as much or as easily as I'd like, so I was thinking of doing a slow build where I buy pieces here and there.

Let me know if this is smart but I was thinking to buy the case, power suppy and fans first since they are the least likely to fail.

Then when I have saved up some money again buying the motherboard, CPU and RAM, plus 1/2 of the M.2 drives.

I figured this will allow me to make sure the PC is running and I have time to spare before I spend the big bucks on the GPU, CPU cooler, and the 2nd M.2.

This is my idea:

9700k is fine, but if you want to save 300$, there are good cheaper cases, good cheaper fans,better value psu, etc, all of which will still last 5-10y. (I have a couple really old excellent condition power supplies).

Cheaper list coming up, still excellent gaming.

By the way this is actually on the high end side of computing.

also 32gb of ram is too much.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PT9tdX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PT9tdX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($181.10 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($509.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ B&H) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140mm Fan  ($14.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140mm Fan  ($14.95 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1730.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-27 23:49 EST-0500

Virtually 0 noticeable change, 400$ cheaper.

I would probably not buy over a period of time. You can't really do anything with your build until your put your gpu in it and if you need more than 3 month chances are, that Amd or anyone else will bring something on the market that makes more sense to buy. And you are stuck on the platform. If you can't wait, go for psu and case because they don't change so much every Gen. Ssd, ram and everything else is likely to get better or at least cheaper.

I would recommend you to save 1500 $ and buy at once. 

7 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

9700k is fine, but if you want to save 300$, there are good cheaper cases, good cheaper fans,better value psu, etc, all of which will still last 5-10y. (I have a couple really old excellent condition power supplies).

Cheaper list coming up, still excellent gaming.

Hey so thanks for all the tips and the updated spec sheet. The reason why I chose the 9700k the motherboard I did and the higher amounts of RAM were for the improvements to overclocking and that it would be powerful for both gaming and for my 3d modeling/printing, video editing and photoshop use. Im sure AMD threadripper builds would be comparable too I just havent looked much into those. I'll definitely look into more details when it comes to the build you suggested. Thank you again!

7 hours ago, killerbee04x said:

Is it a gameing pc, personal PC, professional PC? 

2017 Game PC 16gs ddr4, i7, 8 gig of 1080, SSD.

2018 Game PC 16gs ddr4, i9900k, 8 gigs of 2080 GPU, SSD..

If you don't have 2018 standards. Then it's not a gaming PC. It's a personal computer with benefits.. 

All that other stuff isn't for PC gaming. 

If you're not a video editor then 32g is worthless. 

I actually do use my comouter for 3d modelling, photoshop, and sony vegas so there are reasons why 32gb of ram are good for me.

Now I'm calling you out on your bs, you do not need a 2080 or 2080TI to game in 2018. Those are extremely niche overpowered gaming pcs and unncessary. Most if not all gaming rigs I see pre-built have 1070s and 1080s because its a fact that unless Real Time Ray Tracing actually evolves from myth status, 2080s are pointless since a 1080TI is almost as powerful. LinusTechTips, GamerNexus, and practically ever other tech youtuber has said as such. The problem with 1080TIs is that they are dead because Nvidia obviously wants to push their newer hardwere, so thus I can get nearly the same specs as a 1080TI with a 2070 and sometimes better. A 2080 is not a massive upgrade to the 2070 and also the 2080 and 2080TI are terrible in terms of price per power improvement.

4 hours ago, Manderis said:

I would probably not buy over a period of time. You can't really do anything with your build until your put your gpu in it and if you need more than 3 month chances are, that Amd or anyone else will bring something on the market that makes more sense to buy. And you are stuck on the platform. If you can't wait, go for psu and case because they don't change so much every Gen. Ssd, ram and everything else is likely to get better or at least cheaper.

I would recommend you to save 1500 $ and buy at once. 

Hey thanks, my only problem is saving that much money without touching it for other needs becomes difficult. Also from what I can tell that would mean I shouldnt even buy a PC, because once I pull the trigger, its already outdated. I mean I can wait until next year and see the next gen of graphics cards and cpus but from what I can tell they wont really be a huge increase over current gen and the cost for that minimal improvement is going to be nuts from what I can tell looking at the 2080 and 2080TI.

Its difficult to decide what to do especially since now im in the same place when I bought my gaming laptop, DDR5 is probably going to be significantly faster and should be out in 1-2 years

Looks like you might have a use for hyper threading and 9th gen i7 doesn't have it. Steve from Gamers Nexus just published a video i still need to watch but i recommend it to you.

I can understand your argument. In technology there will always be the next big thing. But if you need to wait anyways you might as well get the best thing for that moment in time when you are able to use it. If you have to wait 3 month, buy the best thing at that time. Prob. Ryzen 3xxx, and it might even have a better value. I know, saving can be hard but it is worth the afford. Maybe try put money in a sock somewhere save.

If you don't have any Computer atm maybe go for the CPU+iGPU first so you can have at least some browsing experience and maybe some old games. I can only speak for myself but i would be a bit salty if i finally have everything together and i am already outdated. If i buy a rig I want at least 3 Days to feel like i have the best my money could buy me