Need Advice for Mid-range second build

Gileotine

Evening Forumbros, and Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Quanza/Yule Tide/Seasonal-Solstice Winter Event,

The Budget (United States): 

I am looking to spend $1000-1200 USD, though anything past $1200 would have to be justified as I don't.. feel good about making my dad pay for anything unnecessary.

Here is the build I'm looking at:       

It is currently just slightly above 1200 USD with rebates.

Here's the catch to this build: I won the motherboard (180 USD) at a contest so I wouldn't actually need to buy it, shaving off 180 dollars. However, it would 'force' me to run an intel CPU in order to use it. I guess my biggest question is: even with the savings from the motherboard, is it worthwhile to get the CPU listed in in my build guide, or would I be better off getting a cheaper motherboard and a Ryzen 5 2600.

I'm going to be using this computer almost entirely for gaming, with a bit of light streaming.

The reason why I wanted this upgrade is because my old computer is starting to chug FPS with more modern games, making some of them force me to play them at low or just becoming actually unplayable.

I won't be needing to buy peripherals or monitors, as I already have those. I do not have a 4K monitor, just two 1080p's which I am very happy with still.

Thanks friends,

Grey

i'd stick with the intel CPU since you already have the mobo, but i'd look towards getting an i7 8700 or i5 8400, the 9600k isn't really worth it imo. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, Gileotine said:

Evening Forumbros, and Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Quanza/Yule Tide/Seasonal-Solstice Winter Event,

I am looking to spend $1000-1200 USD, though anything past $1200 would have to be justified as I don't.. feel good about making my dad pay for anything unnecessary.

Here's the catch to this build: I won the motherboard (180 USD) at a contest so I wouldn't actually need to buy it, shaving off 180 dollars. However, it would 'force' me to run an intel CPU in order to use it. I guess my biggest question is: even with the savings from the motherboard, is it worthwhile to get the CPU listed in in my build guide, or would I be better off getting a cheaper motherboard and a Ryzen 5 2600.

I'm going to be using this computer almost entirely for gaming, with a bit of light streaming.

The reason why I wanted this upgrade is because my old computer is starting to chug FPS with more modern games, making some of them force me to play them at low or just becoming actually unplayable.

I won't be needing to buy peripherals or monitors, as I already have those. I do not have a 4K monitor, just two 1080p's which I am very happy with still.

Thanks friends,

Grey

@Gileotine - this is actually a very nice build. Quite impressive for the price, now is a good time to buy. If you won the motherboard and can account for that, that I'd say consider spending $100 on an AIO. But either way - air is good with the 212 - just won't be able to OC much.

Definitely stick with the 9600k over the r5 2600 !!!

As for the case - IOMO, it's worth spending the extra $20 or $30 for the one with the fan/rgb controller.

Love it!!

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($304.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler  ($16.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: EVGA - Z370 Classified K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($177.65 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.00 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card  ($338.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) B3 has issues with protections, this is much better.
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1205.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-25 22:56 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I don't plan on ocing it because I'm not really familiar with that, but if this looks good to all of you then I'll put in the order tomorrow.

Thanks friends.

11 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

i'd stick with the intel CPU since you already have the mobo, but i'd look towards getting an i7 8700 or i5 8400, the 9600k isn't really worth it imo. 

If he’s only gaming at 1080p don’t you think he will be fine with just a 9600k? It’s the perfect mid price between the more expensive 8700k/8700 and the less expensive 8400. 

If if you look here besides the price there isn’t all that much of a difference between the 8700k/8700 and the 9600k. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9600K/3937vs4031

even with the 8700 the 9600k is a bit cheaper for almost same performance 

I know it's early but I'm still quite curious about the "excellent Intel gaming build" on PC part picker, which appears to fit my budget but has a 2070 in place of my 1070 I chose.

8 hours ago, Gileotine said:

I know it's early but I'm still quite curious about the "excellent Intel gaming build" on PC part picker, which appears to fit my budget but has a 2070 in place of my 1070 I chose.

Better off with a locked i7 and B360 board, and i'm skeptical of that SSD's performance. Otherwise it's okay.

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Better off with a locked i7 and B360 board, and i'm skeptical of that SSD's performance. Otherwise it's okay.

I don't know what a locked i7 is or a b360 board.

Speaking of, PC part picker says my motherboard might have compatibility issues, with the CPU I have selected. Not for the Intel build gaming guide, but the original posting 

Thanks for your extended help btw

13 minutes ago, Gileotine said:

I don't know what a locked i7 is or a b360 board.

Speaking of, PC part picker says my motherboard might have compatibility issues, with the CPU I have selected. Not for the Intel build gaming guide, but the original posting 

Thanks for your extended help btw

As in an i7 8700 and motherboard with a B360 chipset. The extra threads will help it perform better than the 9600k.

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

As in an i7 8700 and motherboard with a B360 chipset. The extra threads will help it perform better than the 9600k.

Would that fit on my Z360 board (Not even sure what these letters mean). Since the whole reason I"m going intel is because I'm getting a "free" motherboard off of this one.

12 minutes ago, Gileotine said:

Would that fit on my Z360 board (Not even sure what these letters mean). Since the whole reason I"m going intel is because I'm getting a "free" motherboard off of this one.

Yeah it'll work just fine.

Sorry to vampire but

With the announcement of the RTX 2060 would it be more cost-efficient to wait for that to come out and see if the price on the 2070 comes down

Or is this just a good time to buy this build considering all the sales going on right now.

As a reminder I'm doing the excellent Intel gaming build, with a few pieces removed like the motherboard and  storage

Last question for those around: Is the 150+ bucks worth the upgrade from a GTX 1070ti to a 2070? Benchmark appears to be around 30% better but I'd like to field opinions on this as lots of folks seem to have 1070ti's in their builds instead of the 20xx variant (I'm assuming cus that shit expensive)

Evening folks,

I'm still planning out the computer since the person buying it still hasn't pulled the trigger on it, which means I have more time to save money if the opportunity arises. My question right now is for "cheap" cards on Ebay that seem to be FAR, FAR below MSRP or the market trend, yet appear to be brand new cards from the seller themselves. The card in question, a GTX 1080 ti on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-FTW3-GAMING-11GB-GDDR5X-CX-Technology-Free-Shipping/113533349924?hash=item1a6f1d7024:g:eI0AAOSwkDtcM7zl:rk:3:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=1000       is what I'm talking about.

I've always been told if something looks too good to be true, it probably is. And this looks too good to be true. Can anyone help me parse through this?

On 12/25/2018 at 11:54 PM, Gileotine said:

Thanks friends,

Grey

At that price point, you're comparing the 9600k to the R7 2700, the 2600 is a good 100 cheaper over here... You can sell the board and get a decent X470 AM4 for around the same price point too.

The Ryzen 7 2700 beats out the 9600k in all but single threaded performance... But you should also factor in an upgrade path.  Chances are any new 10th gen intel i5 will require a new motherbaord chipset... We've seen it happen all to often. Whilst AM4 may have newer chipsets, but are backwards compatible. So the X470 will be fine for the 3xxx series of CPU's and AM4 is supported through the next few years minimum.

If you are on a budget and want a better upgrade path... sell the intel board and get the X470 and the 2700... or if you want a better option, go for the 2600x and then replace with a 3xxx series next year.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:57 PM, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($304.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler  ($16.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: EVGA - Z370 Classified K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($177.65 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.00 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card  ($338.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) B3 has issues with protections, this is much better.
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1205.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-25 22:56 EST-0500

>8700

how about no 

You'll be fine with non modularity, just ziptie the molex cables and other cables you won't be using. Especially with an h500, which has excellent cable management. Formula gold = whisper m in build quality also, LTT PSU tier list can be misleading sometimes. 

9600k > 8700 in gaming, 212 evo is horrible (it's loud, very hard to install, and doesn't have good performance / price), mx500 is cheaper, vega 56 is actually a very good deal right now as BIOS flashing it will give you 1070 ti ~ 1080 performance. (Or if you don't want to BIOS flash, it'll give you between 1070 and 1070 ti performance, also freesync and better game pack). Windows 10 full > OEM, code is transferrable from system to system, with OEM it's strapped to the mobo.