Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU backplate cooling

WIGs
 Share

I have an MSI 1080Ti Gaming X card (the version with two fans). This card features a metal backplate which gets hot to touch under load. Since I am trying to maximize the efficiency of the cooling (hoping to minimize the noise output in the end), I am wondering whether cooling this metal backplate could help to reduce the temperatures of the GPU (or, in my case more likely to allow me to reduce fan speeds ;-)). I know that the impact of the backplate in the basic flat form on GPU cooling is probably negligible (actually I tried blowing air onto the backplate with no measurable effect) - but what if I slapped a heatsink to the backplate in order to allow for more efficient heat dissipation (probably something of this sort)? Do you think that this "mod" can improve the temperatures significantly, or is it just a waste of time? (I do not want to open up the GPU at this point since this would void my warranty - but adding something to the backplate would be probably fine.)

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if its really worth it. Their should be some benefit but I think optimizing your case fans and stuff would be better? I dont normally mess with my GPU that way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Feanturi_IV said:

I dont know if its really worth it. Their should be some benefit but I think optimizing your case fans and stuff would be better? I dont normally mess with my GPU that way

Well, my case fans are easily capable of handling the heat output of the system (cranking up all the fans gets the GPU to ~47C in Furmark with 21C ambient temperature). My question is more related to the noise. I like having the system quiet and thus theoretically, the more heat I dissipate passively the less aggressive fan curve I need to apply.

 

But I will be obviously happy to do any optimizations related to the case fans. I am running my inverted ATX system in the Dark Base 900 - see the picture below (unless specified, all fans are 140mm SilentWings 3 1600rpm).

 

Thank you!

IMG_20181225_142827.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, WIGs said:

I have an MSI 1080Ti Gaming X card (the version with two fans). This card features a metal backplate which gets hot to touch under load. Since I am trying to maximize the efficiency of the cooling (hoping to minimize the noise output in the end), I am wondering whether cooling this metal backplate could help to reduce the temperatures of the GPU (or, in my case more likely to allow me to reduce fan speeds ;-)). I know that the impact of the backplate in the basic flat form on GPU cooling is probably negligible (actually I tried blowing air onto the backplate with no measurable effect) - but what if I slapped a heatsink to the backplate in order to allow for more efficient heat dissipation (probably something of this sort)? Do you think that this "mod" can improve the temperatures significantly, or is it just a waste of time? (I do not want to open up the GPU at this point since this would void my warranty - but adding something to the backplate would be probably fine.)

 

Thanks!

If im not wrong, gamernexus or someone tested out something and found out that the backplate actually doesnt aftect the temps, if you really want your gpu to stay cool you can either get a water block or get the kraken g12 (i think thats called) and get an aio with it or get a aftermarket fan+heatsink.

 

heres the link to one:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHMJIIO/ref=psdc_3015421011_t1_B00IEO8H22

Edited by PokiDaSpitz
added link for aftermarket cooler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

If im not wrong, gamernexus or someone tested out something and found out that the backplate actually doesnt aftect the temps, if you really want your gpu to stay cool you can either get a water block or get the kraken g12 (i think thats called) and get an aio with it or get a aftermarket fan+heatsink.

 

heres the link to one:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHMJIIO/ref=psdc_3015421011_t1_B00IEO8H22

Arent those loud though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Feanturi_IV said:

Arent those loud though?

im not too sure but the heatsink is bigger and having three fans means you could have them on lower rpm.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

If im not wrong, gamernexus or someone tested out something and found out that the backplate actually doesnt aftect the temps, if you really want your gpu to stay cool you can either get a water block or get the kraken g12 (i think thats called) and get an aio with it or get a aftermarket fan+heatsink.

 

heres the link to one:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHMJIIO/ref=psdc_3015421011_t1_B00IEO8H22

I was actually considering the G12+X62 combo to replace the "stock" cooler on the GPU. Unfortunately, dismantling the GPU would have voided my warranty, which is something I do not want to do at this point.

 

I think it was actually Linus who demonstrated that the backplate has no impact on the GPU cooling. On the other hand, I guess this might be highly model dependent - and the fact that the backplate of my GPU is really hot makes me think that some heat produced by the GPU gets dissipated to the backplate. I doubt it has significant effect on the cooling in the current form as it has quite a small surface area. This is why I was considering adding the heatsink to the backplate. Making the backplate cooler would hopefully provide it with greater capacity to accept heat from the GPU. But I am not sure if my reasoning is correct ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WIGs said:

I was actually considering the G12+X62 combo to replace the "stock" cooler on the GPU. Unfortunately, dismantling the GPU would have voided my warranty, which is something I do not want to do at this point.

 

I think it was actually Linus who demonstrated that the backplate has no impact on the GPU cooling. On the other hand, I guess this might be highly model dependent - and the fact that the backplate of my GPU is really hot makes me think that some heat produced by the GPU gets dissipated to the backplate. I doubt it has significant effect on the cooling in the current form as it has quite a small surface area. This is why I was considering adding the heatsink to the backplate. Making the backplate cooler would hopefully provide it with greater capacity to accept heat from the GPU. But I am not sure if my reasoning is correct ?

It would make it cooler, but I don't think by enough to make it worth while

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try messing with GPU settings to see if you can maintain your clock speeds at lower power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heat dissipation will happen and assist in cooling. There is no way around that. It will it effect the gpu temp, but it would be dumb to assume so. But it would help other components as long as the plate isn’t trapping heat. 

 

Already did seceral tests myself but I only did it on cards that have components on both sides. Beats having an 80c giddle. 

 

Id just try to maximize airflow on it. How many pads are on the plate?

0DFB8C2B-17A9-44D5-92D8-3B673969B6A3.jpeg

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WIGs said:

I am running my inverted ATX system in the Dark Base 900

nice idea… i was first like wtf but now i can see some merit… I use a be quiet shadowrock to cool my cpu… The cooling fins on that device are massive and are aimed vertical instead of horizontal.. this means the backplate of my msi gaming x 1060 gets some cooling air from the cpu fan... i'm not so sure about what you could do more other then use some metal piping system that absorbs heat and transports it to a cooler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2018 at 6:38 PM, Mick Naughty said:

How many pads are on the plate?

I haven't tried disassembling the card myself (warranty, sigh...), but I found Steve's teardown video. He found out that there are actually no thermal pads between the backplate and the card (I am not sure, however, whether there has not been any update to the design since my backplate gets really really hot). In the detailed analysis of the effects of the backplate he found that the backplate seems to help with cooling the VRM a bit. I am somewhat concerned that in the inverse layout (the backplate is on the bottom), the hot air may actually rise towards the PCB (unlike in the standard layout where the heat just goes away).

 

On 12/25/2018 at 7:10 PM, Christiaan21-03 said:

nice idea… i was first like wtf but now i can see some merit… I use a be quiet shadowrock to cool my cpu… The cooling fins on that device are massive and are aimed vertical instead of horizontal.. this means the backplate of my msi gaming x 1060 gets some cooling air from the cpu fan... i'm not so sure about what you could do more other then use some metal piping system that absorbs heat and transports it to a cooler 

This is an interesting idea (and it should be easy to try since the Ninja 4 cooler I have is symmetric in any direction so swapping the fan will be the only thing needed). So far, I have tried just blowing the air towards the backplate with a hand-held fan (which did not help much), but perhaps once I make it properly (and test it in a closed case), the effect could be better. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume you mean the card is installed upside down. The air isn’t rising, it’s radiating. So orientation isn’t a concern. But if you’d like to help it convect the heat, pads would help. As long as the plate isn’t bad like an ek backplate. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I assume you mean the card is installed upside down. The air isn’t rising, it’s radiating. So orientation isn’t a concern. But if you’d like to help it convect the heat, pads would help. As long as the plate isn’t bad like an ek backplate. 

I was probably inaccurate. I know that the backplate only radiates the heat to the surrounding air. However, the heated air then has a tendency to rise, doesn't it? In the normal layout, this heated air rises directly away from the GPU, but when the GPU is upside down, the way up is blocked by the GPU itself. But with good airflow, this is probably not a concern at all.

 

Unfortunately, I cannot add the thermal pads either. Even removing the backplate would make me lose the warranty (stupid Warranty void if removed stickers on top of the screws ?).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said the pcv is radiating the heat. The backplate would trap it. Even more so with no holes in it or pads. Wouldn’t worry about it. Add airflow if possible and call it a day. 

 

The warranty thing wouldn’t hold up anyway but you can always wait till it’s up and test then. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×