Ram upgrade

6Bought a laptop with 2133 4 gb ram,

Bought a seperate 2400 8gb ram,

is it better to use them combined or swapping the 4gb stick for the 8gb 

or overclock the 4gb stick to 2400 to use together

1 hour ago, Feanturi_IV said:

If the ram is compatible with the mother board I would just swap it 

Why swap 4 GB single channel for 8GB Single channel if you can have 12 GB in Flex mode where 8 GB runs in dual channel and the remaining 4 in Singlechannel? Sounds like a waste to me tbh. The 266 MHz on the ram really aren't worth 4GB and partial dual channel.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

3 minutes ago, Ground said:

Why swap 4 GB single channel for 8GB Single channel if you can have 12 GB in Flex mode where 8 GB runs in dual channel and the remaining 4 in Singlechannel? Sounds like a waste to me tbh. The 266 MHz on the ram really aren't worth 4GB and partial dual channel.

Should i just add the 8gb stick and overclock the 4gb stick then, sorry if im boring. I got it as a present

Just add it in and if you want to OC it go for it, but the overclock is probably not gonna be noticeable.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W