Help with new build

Stivelis

Intel i5-8400

Asus cerberus 1070 TI

Asus Prime z370 P-II

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB 2666MHz CL19 (I know nothing about what CL means)

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA III 64MB

Cooler Master Hyper H412R RR-H412-20PK-R2

EVGA 600B1 600W

Zalman Z1 NEO Middle Tower Black

So, currently i have 8 years old laptop with 1gb amd gpu and i5 3250 cpu, and 250gb hdd, so, i decided that it's finally a time for an upgrade. I can't afford anything more expensive.... And I've never built anything on my own, so, it would be nice if someone would fix something if it's needed and tell me something about what i can expect from this pc. Thanks

I mean, if you are just gaming and on a budget, I would get the I3-8350k. 

a z370 board with decent VRM phase (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16237) so you would want to get the ASUS Prime - a or jump up to the strix if you are ASUS, though a "MSI Z370 SLI PLUS" also works.

Ram is fine, though I recommend 16gb in a (2x8) if you can swing it.

Get a NVME SSD, or at least an SSD. a really good one for cheap is Intel 760p M.2 256gb for $83

If you are getting a k, get a decent cooler. usually around $35-45. If you are not getting a k, its not required.

For PSU, always check JonnyGuru. and check the Continuous watts rating instead of the peak, you want the 12v rail to be as strong peak as possible.

@thx1138 If he’s just gaming and on a budget, a 2200G would be the better pick.  4 overclockable cores for $100 vs like 180 for the intel solution. And upgradability.

OP what country do you live in and what is your budget?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

since he isnt streaming, and if he has the money for a 1070 TI, I would at least recommend the best single core performer as possible. though I argue buying a Used 1080 TI would be True best used Budget. or at least a new 1080 vs a new 1070ti(unless really really good deal)

while the 2200g is amazing. its not even close on the gaming side, and pairing it with anything above a 570 or a 1060 is slightly ridiculous, I think.

though your very right asking location/where he is buying from. cuz that is Extremely important info if not in US/Canada

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

@thx1138 If he’s just gaming and on a budget, a 2200G would be the better pick.  4 overclockable cores for $100 vs like 180 for the intel solution. And upgradability.

OP what country do you live in and what is your budget?

Latvia, my budget is up to 1000eur, I'm buying everything from a shop there, because shipping is very screwed up there, our mail service screws up 50% of packages, so, i cannot buy anything from amazon, ebay, etc.. I was wondering if i5 8400 comes with stock cooler? Ryzen 5 2400g costs 155eur, i5 8400 costs 215eur. What does "g" mean?

6 minutes ago, thx1138 said:

Snip

Fair. Though I would recommend a 2600 over an 8350K, since if an 8600K experiences a fair bit of stuttering in games, I can only imagine what 4 cores 4 threads is like. And the 2600 is still cheaper than an 8350K, and includes a cooler, and most B450 boards are cheaper than Z370/390 boards.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

8 minutes ago, Stivelis said:

Latvia, my budget is up to 1000eur, I'm buying everything from a shop there, because shipping is very screwed up there, our mail service screws up 50% of packages, so, i cannot buy anything from amazon, ebay, etc.. I was wondering if i5 8400 comes with stock cooler? Ryzen 5 2400g costs 155eur, i5 8400 costs 215eur. What does "g" mean?

what is the shop?

the g is onboard graphics. and as long as it isnt a k from intel it comes with stock cooler.

@Cereal5 depending on the games you definitely can be correct. I usually am not playing the newest $60+ AAA title, So I have no games that cannot run quad core. and since I like Best compatibility with older games/programs, I must have the best single-core performance available. and since even now 98%+ programs still are mostly based upon that single core performance....

actually finding out what monitor you are using or are going to get and what you are planning on playing would give us better idea of whats best for you.

I'll give you this as a alternative 

4 minutes ago, Stivelis said:

it does, g means it had vega intergrated graphics

@LukeSavenije has a pretty good list.

Though that SSD is quite slow and I would get a NVME(not-sata interface). I would not get an AsRock MOBO (Gigabyte/MSI/Asus, in that order( for customer service and quality and features))  I also don't like MicroATX boards, since they usually are giving something up to be that small. The gpu, depending on price, I would jump to the 1080 or drop to the 1070. and for the PSU, I would try and check jonnyGuru. but would probably go for 450+ watt minimum for Continuous wattage, (usually 650-750 peak) 80+ rating minimum, basically paying much attention to the 12v and 5v rails.

13 minutes ago, thx1138 said:

what is the shop?

the g is onboard graphics. and as long as it isnt a k from intel it comes with stock cooler.

@Cereal5 depending on the games you definitely can be correct. I usually am not playing the newest $60+ AAA title, So I have no games that cannot run quad core. and since I like Best compatibility with older games/programs, I must have the best single-core performance available. and since even now 98%+ programs still are mostly based upon that single core performance....

actually finding out what monitor you are using or are going to get and what you are planning on playing would give us better idea of whats best for you.

1a.lv,

I have 60hz 22" 16:9 led monitor, It's gonna be ok, i don't need any better.

1 minute ago, Stivelis said:

1a.lv,

I have 60hz 22" 16:9 led monitor, It's gonna be ok, i don't need any better.

resolution 1080p ?? cuz a 1070 or 1070ti or 1080 is massive overkill usually.

1440p and up for 1070ti and 1080 level I would think, at least if value/budget/performance minded.

Just now, thx1138 said:

@Cereal5 has a pretty good list.

Though that SSD is quite slow and I would get a NVME(not-sata interface). I would not get an AsRock MOBO (Gigabyte/MSI/Asus, in that order( for customer service and quality and features))  I also don't like MicroATX boards, since they usually are giving something up to be that small. The gpu, depending on price, I would jump to the 1080 or drop to the 1070. and for the PSU, I would try and check jonnyGuru. but would probably go for 450+ watt minimum for Continuous wattage, (usually 650-750 peak) 80+ rating minimum

cerial5 or me? i don't see a list. nvme m.2 isn't going to make any difference in this workload. why not a asrock? the pro4 is the best together with the tomahawk for a low budget mobo. never think in brands, always in models, works way better. why drop down? my 1070 ti can perform like a 1080 for much less. i would drop the 1070 ti for a 580 now, because a 1070 ti is overkill for 1080p

It's 1080p, i bought it a month ago. ? I'm not planning to upgrade the pc for a few years, so, i want to get the best that I can and will still be okay after, like, 3 years.I can afford ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x too, 2600 is 50eur cheaper though.

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

cerial5 or me? i don't see a list. nvme m.2 isn't going to make any difference in this workload. why not a asrock? the pro4 is the best together with the tomahawk for a low budget mobo. never think in brands, always in models, works way better. why drop down? my 1070 ti can perform like a 1080 for much less. i would drop the 1070 ti for a 580 now, because a 1070 ti is overkill for 1080p

oops, sorry bout that. your list.

If you are a heavy gamer. then the loading screens are much more of your time than booting, also I am looking at cost to performance.

Asrock has been getting way better in recent years, however customer service, quality control, and features have always pushed me into Gigabyte(best customer service(well...EVGA is best)), MSI (usually best features for price) and Asus(generally best bios). though I am factoring in everything, this is just what each strongest trait is. Only Customer service is strictly brand base. ASrock....has little strength, other than that they are competitively priced. and they have fixed most of their weaknesses over the years.

While a 1070 ti is basically equal to a 1080.(stock supposedly 7% worse) The 1080 will pretty much always auto-OC way better. and here at least they are almost same price, so no question the 1080 better.(they were both ~$500 here, at least they used to be, for the longest time.) though with the price savings from buying used...I would take the 'risk' and save hundreds buying used.

If he is gonna keep that 1080p screen, yes, down to a 580 would be way better budget/value/performance 

1 minute ago, thx1138 said:

oops, sorry bout that. your list.

If you are a heavy gamer. then the loading screens are much more of your time than booting.

asrock has been getting way better in recent years, however customer service, quality control, and features have always pushed me into Gigabyte(best customer service(well...EVGA is best)), MSI (usually best features for price) and Asus(generally best bios). though I am factoring in everything, this is just what each strongest trait is. Only Customer service is strictly brand base. ASrock....has little strength, other than that they are competitively priced. and they have fixed most of their weaknesses over the years.

While a 1070 ti is bascially equal to a 1080.(stock supposedly 7% worse) The 1080 will pretty much always auto-OC way better. and here at least they are almost same price, so no question the 1080 better.(they were both ~$500 here, at least they used to be.)

If he is gonna keep that 1080p screen, yes, down to a 580 would be way better budget/value/performance 

I could upgrade the monitor after a year, but not for now. I'm planning to play games like Far Cry 5, cs:go, Just Cause 4, etc.

7 minutes ago, Stivelis said:

I could upgrade the monitor after a year, but not for now. I'm planning to play games like Far Cry 5, cs:go, Just Cause 4, etc.

okay. https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/page3.html

the ryzen would not be a bottleneck for you. and the savings are usually pretty good. 

I would not do that board. not good enough VRM

If you want a decent VRM for your CPU, watch the vids, if you dont believe buildzoid...then I cant do anything more here...but good luck,

19 minutes ago, thx1138 said:

a heck lot of info

1: if you count a second or two, sure

2: then the prices i see are different, i see a 100 dollar difference normally

3: then I'll change my board to the tomahawk (b450)

I was wondering, is there any difference in between Asus cerberus or gigabyte gpu? They cost the same and specs are the same

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

btw, this is for the b350, the b450s vrms are better

I know, I was trying to point out the AsRock faults. They have slowly gotten better over the years, also I was pointing out to you most of this info, the more and better you know, the more I dont have to attempt to help people because you will.

Gamers nexus and other youtubers can show differences in heatsinks designs....but if same gpu with same specs...pick for looks or brand or just grab the cheaper.

1 minute ago, thx1138 said:

I know, I was trying to point out the AsRock faults. They have slowly gotten better over the years, also I was pointing out to you most of this info, the more and better you know, the more I dont have to attempt to help people because you will.

Gamers nexus and other youtubers can show differences in heatsinks designs....but if same gpu with same specs...pick for looks or brand or just grab the cheaper.

yeah, so you know asrock was asus untill 2006? but they are getting better and better, especially on the taichis. I never judge on brand, because all of those mentioned vendors (asus msi gigabyte evga and asrock) all have their better and worse boards. but it's good that you do your research!