Help Needed! First PC Build

Tomf00lery

Hey LTT Forums!

I have recently been research a whole lot about building a PC as it's something that I have always wanted to do and I wanted to make sure that I was getting everything I needed in a system that I wouldn't really need to touch for a few years. 

Here is my build on PCpartpicker - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tomf00lery/saved/gdXzYJ

I plan on mainly using this for gaming and coding projects (I know it's a little overkill for what I need it for but thats alright with me). I was just wondering if this whole configuration would work together and would be a blast to put together. 

I went with the NZXT H700 case as I love how it looks and it seems to have much better airflow with than the earlier NZXT cases while being a little bit bigger. However, I switched out the cooling and fans for Corsair stuff as I read a lot about the NZXT CAM software and how many problems people were having with it. (Let me know if that's not the case and if I should just go all NZXT). 

So in the end my only questions really are, will this build last me 4 or 5 years without needing that much of an upgrade in the future? And will the setup a I currently have provide enough cooling for the system so it won't overheat and damage the components?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

2 minutes ago, Tomf00lery said:

Here is my build on PCpartpicker - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tomf00lery/saved/gdXzYJ

- Swap out that AIO liquid cooler for a Dark Rock Pro 4

- Swap out that motherboard for an ASRock Z370 Extreme4

- You can get Windows for ~$15 on Kinguin, no need to pay $100

4 minutes ago, Tomf00lery said:

So in the end my only questions really are, will this build last me 4 or 5 years without needing that much of an upgrade in the future?

Hard to answer that question, depends on many factors (New games, overclocks, temperatures, etc.)

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

24 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

- Swap out that AIO liquid cooler for a Dark Rock Pro 4

- Swap out that motherboard for an ASRock Z370 Extreme4

- You can get Windows for ~$15 on Kinguin, no need to pay $100

Hard to answer that question, depends on many factors (New games, overclocks, temperatures, etc.)

z370 and z390 is pretty much personal choice. Both cooler (corsair h115i and daek rock pro 4) are good but liquid coolers if ruined, ruin the whole pc

Will the Dark Pro 4 air cooler fit in the H700 and will the air flow be adequate enough? @jjjpeg @r2724r16 

I am starting to think that maybe liquid cooling isn't the best idea as this is my first time building a PC, and the only thing I am really worried about is temperatures of the components and inside the case.

2 minutes ago, Tomf00lery said:

Will the Dark Pro 4 air cooler fit in the H700 and will the air flow be adequate enough? @jjjpeg @r2724r16 

I am starting to think that maybe liquid cooling isn't the best idea as this is my first time building a PC, and the only thing I am really worried about is temperatures of the components and inside the case.

not sure, on the case page on nzxt site you can see cooler size support, then you can check size for dark rock pro 4

19 minutes ago, Tomf00lery said:

Will the Dark Pro 4 air cooler fit in the H700 and will the air flow be adequate enough?

Yes and yes.

19 minutes ago, Tomf00lery said:

I am starting to think that maybe liquid cooling isn't the best idea as this is my first time building a PC

AIO liquid coolers are overpriced and unreliable compared to air coolers, don't get one of them.

25 minutes ago, jjjpeg said:

z370 and z390 is pretty much personal choice.

What? They're chipsets FYI.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Is there a great reason to change to the z370 over the z390? @r2724r16  I have changed the cooling to the Dark Rock Pro 4 and have changed the case to the Fractal Meshify C and everything seems to be compatible and fits together. The z390 has onboard wifi which I am in need of at the moment but wont be needing it in a month or so.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tomf00lery/saved/gdXzYJ