Multiple Outs Question/Problem

Edward Nunn

OK guys so ill outline my questions and issues below. (windows 10 btw)

I'm looking for a method of outputting multiple application audio to separate outputs so I can mix them on an external mixer board from my computer and I need some help on how to achieve this.

The basic situation would be to have something like Chrome routing to one output, Spotify to the next, Premiere Pro to the next, and be able to adjust those app volumes on the fly using my mixer board, which I'll be plugging my headphones into. I'm also plugging a mic into this board.

I'm aware that there is software that sends application audio to specific outputs, but I'm not aware of how I should have these outputs on my pc, via multiple sound cards? a sound card with multiple outs? I'm stuck for thought here.

Many thanks for any help.

How many actual audio outs do you have? I've never tried this myself, so I wouldn't even know how to tell which application to go to which output. Out of curiosity, what mixer are you using? I use a Yamaha LS9, but only have one output patched in.

EDIT: I found this, maybe give it a try/look: https://www.howtogeek.com/352787/how-to-set-per-app-sound-outputs-in-windows-10/

If you reread the question, i know how to patch audio to outputs, but i want methods to have more outs on my computer.

You edited your question after I made my post (unless I missed the very last part). You do need more than one physical output. If your motherboard doesn't have 3 (assuming that's all you need) or more audio outs, you'll need a sound card that does.

There is no edits to my original question, Im asking for help as to the right sound cards/hardware to use. Generic answers such as 'a sound card is needed' doesnt really help as i know this much already.

32 minutes ago, Edward Nunn said:

via multiple sound cards? a sound card with multiple outs?

You did ask if you need a sound card with multiple outs.

The main method is to have multiple cards and have software route the audio to the different outs. But it's hard to find much info on doing it other ways, like one card with many outputs as it's a relatively new feature in Windows apparently.

So I would just go with the multiple cards and software route.

Ok thanks for that, are there any cards with 2 or more outs that you know of personally?

Most cards you get these days seem to come with at least two or three, like this one:https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102063

Again, that feature in Windows is from spring of this year, so I'm finding it hard to get a strait answer to this myself. So the traditional way, which you already seemed to know about, is the only way I could say for sure works.

Man this is harder than FOH mixing lol