delete this

Recently I have been noticing my CPU hitting 100% and my GPU barely hitting 50% almost on every game I play. My game becomes unbearable to play with all the stuttering/lag my CPU is causing, Is it because my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU or is there an issue I am yet to find.

CPU: i5 6600k 3.5-3.7ghz (turbo boost)

GPU: GTX 970

16GB RAM

650W PSU

GIGABYTE Z170 GAMING-K3

2 minutes ago, VillaiNPC said:

Recently I have been noticing my CPU hitting 100% and my GPU barely hitting 50% almost on every game I play. My game becomes unbearable to play with all the stuttering/lag my CPU is causing, Is it because my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU or is there an issue I am yet to find.

CPU: i5 6600k 3.5-3.7ghz (turbo boost)

GPU: GTX 970

More specs, which games, what settings, was it always like that or just recently?

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

6 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

More specs, which games, what settings, was it always like that or just recently?

16GB RAM

650W PSU

GIGABYTE Z170 GAMING-K3

Rust, Rocket League, PUBG, GTA V Settings usually change but I guess I average playing them all on Medium-High, It started around the release of Call of Duty WW2 and has happened ever since. I have done multiple fresh installs but it doesn't seem to help.

A 6600k shouldn’t be a problem at all, its a really good cpu. Perhaps you are dealing with some software problem such as bloatware or malware.

3 minutes ago, S.G.Rendel said:

A 6600k shouldn’t be a problem at all, its a really good cpu. Perhaps you are dealing with some software problem such as bloatware or malware.

I'll try an offline scan and some other advanced ones and see if they find anything.

For reference, I have an i7 2600k (almost 8 YEARS OLD) paired with a GTX 1080 TI and even though there is bottlenecking, it’s really not that terrible. I actually made it practically disappear by buying a good cooler and overclocking. So, like I said, it’s really unlikely that an i5 6600k is causing such problems on its own.

Perhaps you should try checking the clock speeds at which it’s running while gaming and while stress-testing. You can do this with the free software hwinfo.

SSD or HDD and how full? Sounds like bloatware though. D you deactivate all other programs?

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

3 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

SSD or HDD and how full? Sounds like bloatware though. D you deactivate all other programs?

1TB HDD and has 600gb Free Space, I think I'll do a bunch of scans and if they don't find anything I'll just do a fresh install and see how that goes.

6 minutes ago, VillaiNPC said:

1TB HDD and has 600gb Free Space, I think I'll do a bunch of scans and if they don't find anything I'll just do a fresh install and see how that goes.

Well, HDDs are slow. You should check how much memory is being used, which programs clog it all up and which programs read and write from/to your HDD when it stutters.

1 minute ago, bowrilla said:

Well, HDDs are slow. You should check how much memory is being used, which programs clog it all up and which programs read and write from/to your HDD when it stutters.

Opera Internet Browser is always using quite a bit of Memory at 2.1GB with 5 tabs open, not sure if that is normal but it's definitely annoying.

HDD might be the issue. A good way to check for bloatware or CPU issue is to run cinebench and compare to reviewers you should be within 5% almost . Scans are scans but if you actually measure the performance you get a straight answer. Try running it continuously as well to see if you’re getting throttling and get a worse and worse score as you go on.

36 minutes ago, Swes said:

HDD might be the issue. A good way to check for bloatware or CPU issue is to run cinebench and compare to reviewers you should be within 5% almost . Scans are scans but if you actually measure the performance you get a straight answer. Try running it continuously as well to see if you’re getting throttling and get a worse and worse score as you go on.

I completed 5 tests using CINEBENCH and these are the results starting from the first test to the last.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

9 minutes ago, VillaiNPC said:

I completed 5 tests using CINEBENCH and these are the results starting from the first test to the last.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Those results look perfectly fine. A bit of deviation in scores is normal and can be attributed to the OS or programs running in the background. Also the 6600k has 4 cores and 4 threads, so that score is quite good.

Are you running windows 10, 8 or 7? I just remembered a bug that used to be very common that caused high cpu usage. Try checking your cpu usage on idle.

8 minutes ago, S.G.Rendel said:

Are you running windows 10, 8 or 7? I just remembered a bug that used to be very common that caused high cpu usage. Try checking your cpu usage on idle.

I ran Userbenchmark a few days ago and it said my background CPU usage was 8%

22 minutes ago, VillaiNPC said:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

These numbers are a little lower than I would expect which is about a 600-650 but not completely awful or something. Last thing you could try is a single core test and see if you get around 160-170 .

Those are also mostly multiplayer games, are you sure it’s not the ping/bandwidth causing the issue ? Same issues when playing campaign?

last thing I can think of is the HDD overwise it may just windows update screwed up the scheduler for that CPU but it’s hard to say. Windows 10 sucks for older hardware because it’s always updating you can never stop it at a stable build . Not saying that CPU is old but who knows what they tested when they rolled out the latest update etc.

if this persists swap over to an SSD and OC the CPU and make sure you have XMP setup on the ram if it has that if you will see some significant gains doing that . 6600k can hit 4.5-4.6 often.

9 minutes ago, VillaiNPC said:

I ran Userbenchmark a few days ago and it said my background CPU usage was 8%

Okay, then that shouldn’t be a problem haha

Keep us posted if you find something out, I’ll try think what else it could be.

2 hours ago, S.G.Rendel said:

For reference, I have an i7 2600k (almost 8 YEARS OLD) paired with a GTX 1080 TI and even though there is bottlenecking, it’s really not that terrible. I actually made it practically disappear by buying a good cooler and overclocking. So, like I said, it’s really unlikely that an i5 6600k is causing such problems on its own.

Perhaps you should try checking the clock speeds at which it’s running while gaming and while stress-testing. You can do this with the free software hwinfo.

@Swes

Benchmarked the following: Heaven Benchmark (High) and GTA V (Medium/High Settings)

First one is Heaven and second is GTA V 

Hopefully you were on about these :P

heaven bench.PNG

GTA V BENCH.PNG

1 hour ago, VillaiNPC said:

@Swes

Benchmarked the following: Heaven Benchmark (High) and GTA V (Medium/High Settings)

First one is Heaven and second is GTA V 

Hopefully you were on about these :P

heaven bench.PNG

GTA V BENCH.PNG

Wow the cpu usage in the second screenshot does look like it was almost constantly at 100%, that is not good. The first one looks ok tho.

The clockspeeds seem fine, especially considering the very low voltages you are running. You have plenty of room for overclock if your temps are good enough. Albeit I don’t think that a slow cpu is your issue, but you want you can experiment and see how much performance you can squeeze from 1.2-1.3 volts if you feel like it, and if your temps are good enough.

I would still say the issue looks more software oriented though, I’ll look up some possible causes for it tonight. In the mean time, have a good one!