Vitrual reality headset

sebbno2

Hi, recently thought about buying a Htc Vive is it worth it? Or should I get another vr headset?

Currently got about 640€ to spendand a Htc vive with 2x lighthouses and controllers cost around 580€ in my country.

Current setup is R5 2600x, 16gb ddr4, 1060 6gb you should be able to use a vr headset with this.

I personally prefer the Oculus Rift over the HTC Vive, it's much more comfortable and the controllers are significantly better to use for long periods (plus you can swap out the batteries when they die unlike the Vive which means you're done gaming until they charge). The Vive does have better range than the Rift, but for a normal room (even a living room) a Rift is fine. Now if you happen to have a warehouse or a large 30x30 area to use then you might want to get the Vive. Visual quality-wise the headsets are pretty much identical (I couldn't tell the difference) so the controllers were the deciding factor for me.

Your PC is plenty for VR, I wasn't able to find any game that wouldn't run smoothly on a Ryzen 1500X with a RX 480 so a 2600X and a 1060 should have a similar experience.

-KuJoe

The Vive is great hardware (when it works) and has the most options for accessories of any of the VR sets. 

Tracking Pucks

Official Wireless

Deluxe audio strap (almost required for me to match a rift for comfort.)

But HTC support is horrible. Just visit the r/Vive subreddit and see all the horror stories.

The Vive may also die if you sweat in it too much which is not covered by warranty according to HTC.

This seems to be more of a issue with aftermarket facepads installed but my cousin is on Vive #3 even with stock pads due to this.  Luckily it was ordered from Amazon and they are good for returns.

I have not has an issue with mine but knowing that if I do I might as well just buy a new HMD at this point makes it hard to recommend them on their customer support alone. If you are looking for the features only the Vive offers you may not have a choice but it's something to keep in mind.

The Rift is a good setup as well but expect to need a 3rd camera and HDMI/USB3 extension cables to do larger room scale stuff.

The WMR are decent as well but due to their tracking tech they are better suited to cockpit games or if portability is an priority.  You can do room scale with them but the tracking isn't the best and the controllers are the least ergonomic. 

The 1060 6gb should be fine for now. I'm running a laptop version and it's totally playable just don't expect to turn up the super sampling.

You may want to hold out for a bit and see what becomes of the Valve headset leaks or a possible higher res Rift as well.