My CPU is overheating...

LeeHeintz57
Go to solution Solved by nickyteddy,

If it's a custom built then getting into it is easy enough. Once you take off the cooler clean off the thermal paste from under the cooler and the CPU itself with some isopropyl alcohol. I used the Arctic MX-4 which has served me well so far but there might be other better thermal pastes.

...I know I need to replace the thermal paste. I have never done this myself and I am just looking for the best solution. i.e. what to buy and how to remove/apply, etc. Is there an incorrect way? And how hard is this process? Thanks in advance. 

Besides your thermal paste, is there anything else it could be? restricted airflow, poorly mounted cooler/AIO, ambient temps, etc. 

this is a very googleable and youtubeable question that has probably hundreds of videos showing how to apply thermal paste to a cpu

If it's a custom built then getting into it is easy enough. Once you take off the cooler clean off the thermal paste from under the cooler and the CPU itself with some isopropyl alcohol. I used the Arctic MX-4 which has served me well so far but there might be other better thermal pastes.

My Main PC

CPUIntel Core i5 6600K CPU Cooler - Corsair H80i v2 Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 GAMING ITX/AC RAM - 1x HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition  Storage - 1x HyperX FURY 120GB SSD, 1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" HDD, 1x WD Black 330GB 2.5" HDD Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 650W G3 Case - Silverstone SUGO SG13B