Upgrading System. Need some help

Balamby
Go to solution Solved by Balamby,
1 minute ago, aless83 said:

I would go with a 1070ti with a quality +500 watt psu.

I've had a mining rig with vega 56's and they were a bit of a headache... but don't know about gaming

Ok thanks for the help Aless and everyone who else helped. Ill probably go for the 1070ti, along with some CPU and PSU upgrades

Heyo! I am planning to upgrade my system since I cant run a couple of games I would like to at higher settings, and since if I upgrade it now, I won’t have to worry about it later in life. I am thinking about going for a 1070/1070ti or an rx vega 56 since on Amazon De which is the closest tech “giant”, they are around the same price. I also go went to a couple of tech stores in my area and they also had prices similar to this. I also have to upgrade my cpu,mobo and ram IF the upgrades requires it.

Current specs:

GPU: 1050ti

CPU: i3-8400

MOBO: MSI H110M Gaming

PSU: EVGA 430W

Ram: 8 GB

Storage: 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate hard-drive 

open to suggestions

I would start with an SSD, I can't stand a pc with a normal hard drive anymore...

On the other hand, 430W is not enough for a Vega 56, those are really powerhungry. 

Don't know about the 1070ti... 

Btw, isn't the 8400 an i5?

2 minutes ago, aless83 said:

Btw, isn't the 8400 an i5?

yes it is

Yea my bad I meant i3-8300. I am fine the hardrive since slightly longer waiting times dont bother me. Any gpu suggestions for a absolute maximum of 500€? Btw I double posted so sorry

my priorities would be:

1. ssd

2. psu+GPU 

3. ram (1 more stick to get to 16gb)

your CPU is more than enough and the motherboard is ok, if you're not into some specific overclocking or features.

edit: just read your cpu is an i3, still a 4 core, more than enough imo

Edited by aless83

The Problem with my motherboard is that it doesnt have 4 RAM slots, and my ram is split into two sticks of 4. 

Edit: Do you have any GPU recommendations?

3 minutes ago, Balamby said:

Yea my bad I meant i3-8300. I am fine the hardrive since slightly longer waiting times dont bother me. Any gpu suggestions for a absolute maximum of 500€? Btw I double posted so sorry

I have an 1060 6gb, but I understand that would be a small upgrade from a 1050ti. 

IMO a 1070ti is the sweet spot, it's basically a 1080 -10%, but maybe you'll need to upgrade the PSU. 

1 minute ago, Balamby said:

The Problem with my motherboard is that it doesnt have 4 RAM slots, and my ram is split into two sticks of 4. 

ok, I still have 8gb ddr3 and don't see it bottlenecking anything. It really depends on what you do with your pc. I'm a light user, no streaming.

Any opinions on AMD? I saw the news about the rx 3080 being insanely cheap for the performance and Im just wondering what you think?

Just now, Balamby said:

Are you sure you have this motherboard? I thought this was a 6th/7th gen Motherboard, the i3-8300 or i5-8400 (what ever you have) are both 8th Gen chips. You could have modded it though, I don't know. 

Yeah, Im just a gamer. No streaming or heavy editing. Just challenging games to run

1 minute ago, Olllllli said:

Are you sure you have this motherboard? I thought this was a 6th/7th gen Motherboard, the i3-8300 or i5-8400 (what ever you have) are both 8th Gen chips. You could have modded it though, I don't know. 

I dont know bout the CPU, but the mobo works with it well.

Any opinions on AMD? I saw the news about the rx 3080 being insanely cheap for the performance and Im just wondering what you think?

vega 64 is 400 bucks for a sapphire refference. with some undervolting it will perform like a 1080, you can easily fit 3th party coolers on it (from EKWB for example). those are only rumors, and seem too good to be true. I would wait and look for what they are telling at CES

I'm very sceptical about all the news in the GPU/CPU gaming sector.... I don't believe that  AMD 3080 gpu's will be specially cheap, they are just ging to be in the pricebracket according to the performance. Companies don't give a sh*t about the companies and should make wise business decisions to get max profit.

Anyway, you could wait, maybe I'm wrong!

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

vega 64 is 400 bucks for a sapphire refference. with some undervolting it will perform like a 1080, you can easily fit 3th party coolers on it (from EKWB for example). those are only rumors, and seem too good to be true. I would wait and look for what they are telling at CES

Ok, would you recommend the Vega or the 1070? Cooling is a bit of a concern seeing as my PC does heat up my room a fair bit after long gaming sessions, but the consumption isnt that big a worry.

4 minutes ago, Balamby said:

Ok, would you recommend the Vega or the 1070? Cooling is a bit of a concern seeing as my PC does heat up my room a fair bit after long gaming sessions, but the consumption isnt that big a worry.

I've had a mining rig with vega 56's and they were a bit of a headache... but don't know about gaming

1 minute ago, aless83 said:

Ok thanks for the help Aless and everyone who else helped. Ill probably go for the 1070ti, along with some CPU and PSU upgrades

Just now, Balamby said:

Glad to help. Enjoy the upgrade!