Confirming choice - network cabling

DogKnight

Hello all,

Plan on getting my house wired with Ethernet soon. Want to make sure I make the right decisions with cables.

I plan on going with Cat 6 cable to allow for future speed increases. Currently everything only runs at 1gb speeds, but we have no plans to leave this house and could end up here for another 10 or 20 years. Almost a guarantee that 10gb will become more common.

My question is about Cat 6a. My understanding is that Cat 6a is rated at a higher frequency and has greater crosstalk reduction compared to standard Cat 6. This allows Cat 6a to be run at lengths of up to 100 meters, whereas Cat 6 is limited to 50 meters. I don't foresee any runs being longer than 50 meters. The house isn't even that long. 

My main concern is about future proofing. Is it likely that Cat 6a will allow for speeds greater than 10gb in the future when other tech catches up?

There is a slight price increase but its not huge. And spending the money now will be cheaper than having to rip and replace for upgrades in the future.

Any insight is appreciated. 

Cat6a is not rated for anything over 10Gb but might be able to do 25Gb over short distances.

If you really want to "future-proof" with Cat8 cable which can do 25/40Gb then get ready to spend a LOT of money :(

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: