Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU problem

Timvdb
 Share

Hello, last time, I'm getting pretty bad frames when I'm gaming. I think it might be thermal throttling but I don't know for sure. Here is a screenshot of msi afterburner: 

If it is thermal throttling, what can I do about this?

 

Regards

CPU.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's overclocked, you may need to tune it down a bit.

 

If it's not overclocked, then you probably need a new cooler.

 

Either way, I would recommend a new CPU cooler, because if the CPU is throttling, then it's definitely a problem with cooling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JHurley said:

What CPU are you using and what cooling you using. 

Intel Core i7 6700HQ, I think its the stock cooler. Its a laptop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 5:48 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

You can't tell if a part is thermal throttling by temperature alone. We'd have to see what clock speed and % utilization it was operating at.

Here are the CPU clock speeds, and usages

cpu clock.PNG

cpu usage.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Timvdb said:

Here are the CPU clock speeds, and usages

cpu clock.PNG

cpu usage.PNG

It's fine. The CPU only turbos to 3.5GHz if one core is heavily used, otherwise it's 3.1GHz if all four are used. However unless it drops below 2.6GHz while under load, I can't call it a thermal throttle condition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using the integrated Intel HD Graphics 530 or does your laptop have dedicated graphics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JasonBecker said:

Are you using the integrated Intel HD Graphics 530 or does your laptop have dedicated graphics?

I have a dedicated gpu

 

20 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It's fine. The CPU only turbos to 3.5GHz if one core is heavily used, otherwise it's 3.1GHz if all four are used. However unless it drops below 2.6GHz while under load, I can't call it a thermal throttle condition.

I enabled on Msi afterburner an option to see the power consumption and when my cpu is above 83° which is verry hot, I can see that the wat consumption go down from 25-30 to 15-20. Does this matter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Timvdb said:

I enabled on Msi afterburner an option to see the power consumption and when my cpu is above 83° which is verry hot, I can see that the wat consumption go down from 25-30 to 15-20. Does this matter?

Well again, unless the CPU is dropping below 2.6 GHz (which is its base clock speed) under a regular workload, I don't consider it to be thermal throttling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×