Rebuild or Keep upgrading

Edog

My rig is getting really dated, and I am wondering if I just shove a rtx2070 in it, or do I bite the bullet and do a full rebuild. 

I7-2600 ( Hey I said dated )
Asus p8p67 LE ( pCIE 2.0 but from what I have read 2070) still wont soak a 2.0 bus, and I don't have any PCIe cards)
16GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
Samsung 840 and 850 EVo, booth are sata 6/gb
GTX 980 (EVGA)

700 watt PSU ( Termitake silencer I think )

Running 2k 144htz gsync monitor

Goal is better performance to take advantage of Gsync, and better VR ( VIVE) performance. Rig does struggle a bit with fallout 4 in VR. 

What is your budget? Is it still playing your games just fine?

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Price isn't a big issue, mostly lazy as the current rig is rock solid stable. Mostly wondering If i can get away with the RTX2070 or if I am going to be bottleneck the card with my museum quality CPU, or am I hitting the top of what the old girl is capablie with the 980. 

Primary use is gaming/VR. 

Seeing some GPU stuggle in VR, also I am bit of a settings queen so I like being able to run games at/near max. 

AS a price note, looking at the 2070 due to 1080/its being stupid high, and if I pick up a 2080orTI it would be a crime against computers to pair it with my 2600 lol

2 minutes ago, Edog said:

Price isn't a big issue, mostly lazy as the current rig is rock solid stable. Mostly wondering If i can get away with the RTX2070 or if I am going to be bottleneck the card with my museum quality CPU, or am I hitting the top of what the old girl is capablie with the 980. 

Primary use is gaming/VR. 

Seeing some GPU stuggle in VR, also I am bit of a settings queen so I like being able to run games at/near max. 

Do you know where your current CPU sits while playing games? That will determine if you have headroom / what is being fully utilized. From that information you can make your decision on what to upgrade.

I would expect the 980 to be struggling with high settings in VR. If you want more VR you can get a new GPU. You don't really have to feel bad about making a decision here because you could just try the new GPU, and if it doesn't work flawlessly right away, then just upgrade the rest of the rig.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

3 minutes ago, Edog said:

then only swap out the GPU, i7 2600 is still great, 

not a good time to change whole sys, check out ryzen new cpu next year

Bottlenecks from the cpu or gpu always depend on the games you play, but a i7 2600 should be able to manage a 2070 in ganes that arent too cpu hungry and on the other hand your i7 might be bored with a 2070 in csgo...

basically: bottlenecks are everywhere and as long as you dont stream while listening to music and play BF V it should be fine

So in my testing, GPU soaks before CPU in GTA5 , Not quite seeing GPU soak in Fallout 4 vr but I am also not seeing cpu soak so guessing that games just hot garbage when it comes to optimization. 

Using CAM to capture usage stats in my tests. 

thanks for the answers btw !