I'm lost

theBorth

So I have a problem, I need to get internet access for my new comp downstairs but our router is upstairs and we have cable internet. I dont want to go Wireless but I want a cheap solution, My computer is right beside a phone jack and a cable port what would be the best solution?

Any normal Powerline ethernet adapters (http://tinyurl.com/powerlines-amazon) would work fine, more reliable and faster than wireless but no holes need drilling or cables running under carpets compared to physical cabling it upstairs (Which you could do if your adventurous enough i guess)

Any normal Powerline ethernet adapters (http://tinyurl.com/powerlines-amazon) would work fine, more reliable and faster than wireless but no holes need drilling or cables running under carpets compared to physical cabling it upstairs (Which you could do if your adventurous enough i guess)

I use the TP-link Powerline Ethernet adapters. I don't mind them but when I switch to the TP-link Wireless usb adapter my ping times to the router are a few Miliseconds faster (I normally run through an old 10/100 switch to get downstairs via the powerline adapter). But I enjoy the stability of the wired network more (I'm 3 floors up from the router there is quality issues). 

So the speeds were slower than wireless for me but the stability is there and in your situation may be your best bet.

Just my 2 cents.

Sometimes it's a good idea to take the time and run the cabling, power line adapters work but not always at the best speeds. But just run the cable and it will be all right.