Is 60GB enough?

NunoLava1998
Go to solution Solved by RollinLower,

in theory it should suffice, as windows is only about 20GB. tough when installing programs i doubt it'll be enough. i had a 120GB SSD for as a boot drive for a long while now, and it is only barely enough. ?

Hello! I am getting a new drive (Optane 800P 58GB) to use as a boot drive. I have a 240GB SSD (which I'm planning on installing games on), and I'm only planning on including Windows 10 and programs on my drive. Is this good? (Optane/3D XPoint drives are good because they don't slow down depending on how much storage you have left, although that was not the reason I'm getting it). Is 60GB enough? Thank you! (I very, very rarely store files above 500MB-1GB in my documents, pictures, etc).

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

in theory it should suffice, as windows is only about 20GB. tough when installing programs i doubt it'll be enough. i had a 120GB SSD for as a boot drive for a long while now, and it is only barely enough. ?

Just now, RollinLower said:

I don't install many programs.

Typically paint.net, chrome, discord, bitdefender and probably steam.

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Hello! I am getting a new drive (Optane 800P 58GB) to use as a boot drive. I have a 240GB SSD (which I'm planning on installing games on), and I'm only planning on including Windows 10 and programs on my drive. Is this good? (Optane/3D XPoint drives are good because they don't slow down depending on how much storage you have left, although that was not the reason I'm getting it). Is 60GB enough? Thank you! (I very, very rarely store files above 500MB-1GB in my documents, pictures, etc).

Well If I think you talking about Intel Optane which ONLY boost HDD R/W speeds as cache memory then you, wasting your money, unless your hdd is very slow :D and you need ultra fast cache

CPU: Intel I7-8700K | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 2x8GB | GPU: Asus ROG 1080Ti OC | PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium | SSD: 1x Samsung Evo 970 250GB M2 1x Samsung Evo 970 1TB M2 | CPU COOLER: Noctua D15

1 minute ago, speed258 said:

Well If I think you talking about Intel Optane which ONLY boost HDD R/W speeds as cache memory then you, wasting your money, unless your hdd is very slow :D and you need ultra fast cache

It's not Optane Memory, it's Optane Storage. The 800P is a M.2 version of the 900P but with smaller capacities and half the sequential speeds (because it uses PCIe x2 instead of PCIe x4, most likely)

9 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

It's not Optane Memory, it's Optane Storage. The 800P is a M.2 version of the 900P but with smaller capacities and half the sequential speeds (because it uses PCIe x2 instead of PCIe x4, most likely)

honestly imo Optane is useless, as even with SATA SSD - NVME, the difference is within margin of error. (aka 5% of each other). Instead of dropping 120$ on 58GB of storage, get a nice 500GB NVMe. (970 evo) or a 1TB ssd (860 evo) for the same price.