SSD HDD help moi please!

Rich Armstrong

Hi guys, 

I built a new system with a windows 8 boot drive to replace my old windows 7 system with a 2TB HDD. How simple is it to integrate the HDD and the SSD? I will be fine once the drive is installed, i was wondering how i will be able to keep the 5 years worth of hard work on my old system? Thanks,

Rich

"Be excellent to one another" Bill and Ted

"How many people have died waiting for their Savour" Nick Arthur of Molotov Solution

Hey @Rich Armstrong

It's pretty easy to do. the way I would do it, is install the OS on the SSD. Then when you boot up, the existing HDD will be visible as a secondary HDD.

P.S if in the small chance the HDD isn't visible when you boot up. You need to go into disk management and change the drive letter of the HDD to one that isn't conflicted with another device. 

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

You'll find it very easy if you have the skills to build a pc in the first place.

Hey @Rich Armstrong

It's pretty easy to do. the way I would do it, is install the OS on the SSD. Then when you boot up, the existing HDD will be visible as a secondary HDD.

P.S if in the small chance the HDD isn't visible when you boot up. You need to go into disk management and change the drive letter of the HDD to one that isn't conflicted with another device. 

Elven

So there wouldn't be any compatibility problems between windows 7 documents and windows 8? I know I'm being a bit pedantic but i don't want to do anything stupid as i find software migration much more complicated than setting up a new system...

"Be excellent to one another" Bill and Ted

"How many people have died waiting for their Savour" Nick Arthur of Molotov Solution

So there wouldn't be any compatibility problems between windows 7 documents and windows 8? I know I'm being a bit pedantic but i don't want to do anything stupid as i find software migration much more complicated than setting up a new system...

There shouldn't be compatibility issues. Although, some software programs might require a re-installation. I find it a small price to pay, to ensure that all your data you don't want to lose is still there when you install a new OS.

I presume the stuff you don't want to lose is personal files, music, pictures, documents and projects you've worked on.

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.