Help using an rx3600 server !!!!

Overbuilder

Hi guys, i have recently inherited a hp itanium rx3600 . I now know after cleaning it all up it has an intel itanium 2 in it (64 bit) 9140M. I have bought a C19 power cable for it, re-applied the thermal paste on the MASSIVE chip and booted it. It makes a lot of noise, boots into EFI 1.1 and says press F1 to continue. After i push F1, the sign goes away, yet no other screen come up, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get into the BIOS, if this thing even has one, for that matter. Anyway, i was wondering whether i needed to hook up a laptop w serial port to it ? What do i do next ? i would at least be able to acces the tech specs of the thing...

Thanks in advance for any who help.

Assuming the server stays up (but just doesn't display anything) you might be able to use a null modem cable into a laptop to reset the iLO to factory settings. I'm not familiar with that exact model of server, but most HP servers from that generation have some LED's that can light up to show you if there is trouble with a specific part. 

If you get into the console on the laptop and reset it, you might be able to get further, or at the very least read error logs from the console to find what is stopping the boot. 

Ok, don't currently have a laptop old enough, but i will get a usb to 9 pin, hopefully that will work ! :)

7 hours ago, Overbuilder said:

Ok, don't currently have a laptop old enough, but i will get a usb to 9 pin, hopefully that will work ! :)

USB serial emulation works quite well in my experience. Best of luck!