RX 580 performance Very Poor

JarshVader
Go to solution Solved by JarshVader,
51 minutes ago, Poly LLC said:

Hmmm, software updated? Track down those latest updates or maybe downgrade an update to see if that works

Thanks! I went down to the earlier version and it fixed all my problems.

I just got a new Gigabyte RX 580 about 2 weeks ago. It's been working fine on all my games (fortnite, rainbow 6 siege etc) until suddenly, the performance on all of my games dropped dramatically. It struggles to get 30fps on high settings on these games when it should be able to easily handle them just fine at 100+ frames. Any Idea of what this could be? anything helps, thanks. 

The temperature of the card stays around 50 degrees Celsius

3 minutes ago, JarshVader said:

just got a new Gigabyte RX 580 about 2 weeks ago. It's been working fine on all my games (fortnite, rainbow 6 siege etc) until suddenly, the performance on all of my games dropped dramatically.

What card did you have installed previously, and what is the other specifications of your system (CPU, RAM, etc)? Did you install the drivers with the CD or the latest ones from the manufacturer's site, the CD drivers could be outdated when you bought and installed the card within your system? Could be that the optimizations for certain tasks could be better with certain hardware configurations even if the other ones are a lot more costly (the computer with all of the highest cost parts is not necessarily going to perform the best for games). Therefore, your card change could have negatively impacted your system's performance in certain applications such as those which you have mentioned.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

did you install anything, plug anything new, replugged some cables, etc.?

:^)

50 degrees sounds like the GPU isn't being fully utilized. Could you check CPU usage during games? Something could be using up your CPU

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What card did you have installed previously, and what is the other specifications of your system (CPU, RAM, etc)? Did you install the drivers with the CD or the latest ones from the manufacturer's site, the CD drivers could be outdated when you bought and installed the card within your system? Could be that the optimizations for certain tasks could be better with certain hardware configurations even if the other ones are a lot more costly (the computer with all of the highest cost parts is not necessarily going to perform the best for games). Therefore, your card change could have negatively impacted your system's performance in certain applications such as those which you have mentioned.

I was using a msi 1050 ti, im using a i7 3770, 16gb of samsung ddr3, and i installed the drivers online off of AMD's website and am running the newest version. Also, theres a white LED right above the power connectors that blinks every once in a while, and i cant find what it means.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

50 degrees sounds like the GPU isn't being fully utilized. Could you check CPU usage during games? Something could be using up your CPU

there is %100 utilization when i run any game on my GPU , and around 40% on my CPU

5 minutes ago, Poly LLC said:

did you install anything, plug anything new, replugged some cables, etc.?

Ive been using the same 4+2 pin from my power supply, and havent touched anything else

maybe there already is a lot of dust in there somehow, did you open it up and see if everything is fine (clean, all cables are connected, case fans are spinning, etc.)?

6 minutes ago, JarshVader said:

I was using a msi 1050 ti, im using a i7 3770, 16gb of samsung ddr3, and i installed the drivers online off of AMD's website and am running the newest version.

Unless there are unlikely hardware defects such as lowered performance caused by it used in scenarios like mining cryptocurrencies or in the manufacturing process, then I guess that hardware optimizations made by the game developer for your old system hardware configuration could make it perform better. Or, other performance bottlenecks such as from overheating could be a part in the lower performance results over the old setup of hardware.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

5 minutes ago, JarshVader said:

there is %100 utilization when i run any game on my GPU , and around 40% on my CPU

Huh 100% utilization should usually be fine, but 50C is really low. What clock speeds is usually around when gaming?

You could try using DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then reinstalling them

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 minutes ago, Poly LLC said:

maybe there already is a lot of dust in there somehow, did you open it up and see if everything is fine (clean, all cables are connected, case fans are spinning, etc.)?

no dust, everythings connected fine

Hmmm, software updated? Track down those latest updates or maybe downgrade an update to see if that works

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Huh 100% utilization should usually be fine, but 50C is really low. What clock speeds is usually around when gaming?

You could try using DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then reinstalling them

ill try using DDU, and the clock speeds usually get up to around 1340 mhz 

51 minutes ago, Poly LLC said:

Thanks! I went down to the earlier version and it fixed all my problems.

Check vram clock and use a utility like msi afterburner to see if the card had been set to be underpowered by a certain %(should be 0% power limit, negative is underpower like mining & temp control / wattage limiting situations, positive is overpowered for overclocking). also double check resolution settings.