Ram Compatibility With CPU and Motherboard

robby301
Go to solution Solved by SuperCloneRanger,
30 minutes ago, robby301 said:

is motherboard or ram compatibility more important?

there both important. but the cpu either is or isn't compatible with the motherboard. and you don't have to worry about the memory's compatibility with the cpu, its whats compatible with motherboard thats important. any memory that works with motherboard will work with the cpu. does that make sense?

EDIT: i checked, your cpu is compatible with your motherboard.

I'm building a new PC for the first time and i'm currently trying to choose ram at the moment. How do I know if my ram is compatible with both the CPU and the motherboard so I don't run into any problems? These are my current parts.

CPU - Intel i7-7700K

CPU Cooler - Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard - Asus PRIME Z270-A

There are several ways, first you can check each of the manufacturers websites, they will list compatible parts (these are not all inclusive).

Otherwise you can use pcpartpicker.com they do a pretty good job of showing compatibility. (This will not tell you what will give optimal performance, only what is "compatible".)

7 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

I'm sure any ram from a reputable brand will work fine. but if you want to be 100% certain it is compatible, make sure the ram you pick is on the qualified vendor list for your motherboard.

PRIME-Z270-A_PRIME-Z270-AR_DRAM_QVL.pdf

30 minutes ago, robby301 said:

there both important. but the cpu either is or isn't compatible with the motherboard. and you don't have to worry about the memory's compatibility with the cpu, its whats compatible with motherboard thats important. any memory that works with motherboard will work with the cpu. does that make sense?

3 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

yeah makes sense thank you. appreciate it