is CPU underclocking wrong !

3lii

i have the alienwear 17 R5 with i9 and a gtx 1080

i only use it for gaming i dont render or edit the temps are really annoing me even with LM repasting

i went ahead and underclocked the CPU to 3.9 on all the 6 cores instead of the original 4.3 clock on the other hand i overclocked the GPU to the max

i didnt notes any fps drop at all also the CPU and GPU where in the mid 60s Celsius which is absolutely great.

I know I'm not using the full CPU speed and performance but I don't care

as I told you I only game on this laptop

if you're only gaming (and if dell's presumably shyte bios allows it) chances are you'll be better off gaming/temperature wise to disable two cores, and put the rest back up to their normal clocks.

depending on which games you're playing ofcourse.

(also, it's your hardware, do what you want with it, when i bought the stuff for my pc i got a K sku specificly to not OC it, because it drove a friend mad.. ?)

Yeah so in my experience, it matters more what you're doing. Disabling hyperthreading and/or several cores will probably be a better option heat/power wise. Also undervolting. In fact, maybe undervolting being the best way, although it takes some work, so the former can be a nice substitute. 

I forget who recently did it... But they basically did an experiment where they distributed overall processor frequency between all the cores, and the more cores at lower frequency (like 1000mhz) performed far better in gaing than say, one core at 4Ghz, if that makes sense? So there's definitely a limit to how many cores you'll want to disable, but we're talking extreme situations.

Just try those easy fixes as per above.

9 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you're only gaming (and if dell's presumably shyte bios allows it) chances are you'll be better off gaming/temperature wise to disable two cores, and put the rest back up to their normal clocks.

depending on which games you're playing ofcourse.

(also, it's your hardware, do what you want with it, when i bought the stuff for my pc i got a K sku specificly to not OC it, because it drove a friend mad.. ?)

I would love to try disabling two cores but how :)

the only way i know of is via RUN-MSCONFIG-BOOT-ADVANCED

is that enough or should i go deep into bios 

8 hours ago, bmichaels556 said:

Yeah so in my experience, it matters more what you're doing. Disabling hyperthreading and/or several cores will probably be a better option heat/power wise. Also undervolting. In fact, maybe undervolting being the best way, although it takes some work, so the former can be a nice substitute. 

I forget who recently did it... But they basically did an experiment where they distributed overall processor frequency between all the cores, and the more cores at lower frequency (like 1000mhz) performed far better in gaing than say, one core at 4Ghz, if that makes sense? So there's definitely a limit to how many cores you'll want to disable, but we're talking extreme situations.

Just try those easy fixes as per above.

i managed to undervolte to -140 stable but still didnt solve the heat issue .. the heatsink just can't keep up with both CPU and GPU running at their max

14 hours ago, 3lii said:

i managed to undervolte to -140 stable but still didnt solve the heat issue .. the heatsink just can't keep up with both CPU and GPU running at their max

Oh man... Yeah, see I guess cooling is often an afterthought on products like that.

I mean where are you targeting with your GTX 1080? If you're above where you want to be in FPS, don't be afraid to underclock and significantly undervolt that as well...