Is this a good idea?

Hey Guys!

So I wanted to put my rarely used PC to some use, It has my personal data and a Windows 10 OS. I wanted to Install Windows 7 and 8.1 as well as Parrot Linux OS that makes a total of 4 Operating Systems. Can I do this, Is it possible to quadruple-boot them from one HDD?

Hoping for a positive response,

Basil

Just now, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

So I wanted to put my rarely PC to some use, It has my personal data and a Windows 10 OS. I wanted to Install Windows 7 and 8.1 as well as Parrot Linux OS that makes a total of 4 Operating Systems. Can I do this, Is it possible to quadruple-boot them from one HDD?

Basil

i think it is possible.... as long as you have the space

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Totally possible, just would need a lot of space. Also, make sure to put the OS you want to handle the boot manager last, Windows tends to completely take over when it is installed.

8 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i think it is possible.... as long as you have the space

3 minutes ago, mail929 said:

Totally possible, just would need a lot of space. Also, make sure to put the OS you want to handle the boot manager last, Windows tends to completely take over when it is installed.

I have 500gb and plan to give 35 gb to every os and maybe 40 to the main os

Also, plz link me to a website or video that explains how to use boot manager and what is the process of quadruple-booting

6 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

Also, plz link me to a website or video that explains how to use boot manager and what is the process of quadruple-booting

35 is a bit tight especially if you have other data in there too, unless you are planning to use the remaining space as a general data partition. I'd recommend at least 50 but probably 100 for Windows.

Quadruple booting is just dual-booting multiple times for the most part https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/

Just now, mail929 said:

35 is a bit tight especially if you have other data in there too, unless you are planning to use the remaining space as a general data partition. I'd recommend at least 50 but probably 100 for Windows.

Quadruple booting is just dual-booting multiple times for the most part https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/

thnx i'll watch the video

23 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

So I wanted to put my rarely used PC to some use, It has my personal data and a Windows 10 OS. I wanted to Install Windows 7 and 8.1 as well as Parrot Linux OS that makes a total of 4 Operating Systems. Can I do this, Is it possible to quadruple-boot them from one HDD?

Basil

Yes, it is possible.

Windows has to be installed in the rease order.

Wich means Win 7 -> 8 and 10 after that. Then you should get a Boot Menu.

After that then Linux.

HOWEVER:
It might be possible that Windows 10 does overwrite the Bootloader every time it updates itself...

So I'd rather use 2 Drives:
One for Windows 10

One for the Rest.

And for what you want, a good old 40-120GB Drive is more than enough.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

I recommend a minimum of around 60 GiB vor Windows 7-10. And even that is cutting it very close.

For those around 100GiB seems to be OK and the best compromize.

35GiB is really not enough for more than 5min of run time...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

29 minutes ago, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

Basil

Just out of curiosity why do you want so many Os's I can see running a Windows OS and Linux OS, but why all various windows versions?

You might actually be better served to just grab a free VM solution and then use that for running the older windows versions. It also will have the added benefit of using only the disk space it needs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 7:24 PM, AngryBeaver said:

Just out of curiosity why do you want so many Os's I can see running a Windows OS and Linux OS, but why all various windows versions?

You might actually be better served to just grab a free VM solution and then use that for running the older windows versions. It also will have the added benefit of using only the disk space it needs.

i think im better off with a windows 10 and a linux, which i have done already by now - thnx for the positive feedback 

On 12/10/2018 at 8:52 AM, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

Basil

Yes, no, maybe so?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 11:44 PM, mbasil22 said:

i think im better off with a windows 10 and a linux, which i have done already by now - thnx for the positive feedback 

Yep. I dual-boot Windows 10 and Debian 9. I find this covers everything I need from everyday usage (email, web browsing, photos, etc.) to gaming (a lot of my Steam games only run on Windows). There are a few Steam games I have that only run on Windows XP but I refuse to go through that headache for something I might rarely want to access. If there are any programs that you need which explicitly run on older versions of Windows, then I would recommend running them in VirtualBox on Windows 10.