Help with amd wattman

alexnt

Hi

I decided to give a try to wattman instead of afterburner for my asus r9 290 gpu. So I run a per profile(assassins creed origins) configuration and I tried to replicate the settings from afterburner.

But it seems I cant understand exactly how it works.

I set the core clock to dynamic and raised state 7 from 1000 to 1040MHz. Next I set the core voltage to manual and there I could not understand how it works. It gives 7 states of voltage and for state 6 and 7 the voltage is 1150mv and I cannot change it. I can only change values from state 1 to 5.

Then I changed the memory clock from 1260 to 1300MHz. I didn't touch the voltage as I didn't touch it in afterburner. It said 1056mv and I don't know if it is right.

The I left fan speed at auto and in my case there was not a temp limit setting.

At last I increased the power limit 5%.

Then I run the game and the bult in benchmark. GPUZ was open, too.

I noticed that core was not running at 1040 but at 900+ to 1000.

Memory at 1260.

GPUZ claimed the same values. I even tried to run amd metrics OSD by hitting Ctrl+shift+O but nothing was showed.

So any help/info??

Wattman sucks, just keep using MSi Afterburner, find the best OC that's stable and run every thing on it, there's no reason for having different OC profiles for different games but even if you really must have it Afterburner also offers you multiple profiles so it just doesn't make sense use AMD's crappy software.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

25 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Wattman sucks, just keep using MSi Afterburner, find the best OC that's stable and run every thing on it, there's no reason for having different OC profiles for different games but even if you really must have it Afterburner also offers you multiple profiles so it just doesn't make sense use AMD's crappy software.

The first reason for using it, is the per game profile so I would not need to remember which profile corresponds to each game and the other reason is that I think that the core states thing maybe is good for power saving and lower temps in some cases.