Archer C5400x Gaming Router Connection Drops

Kimchip90

Hey,

So I purchased the insanely expensive Archer C5400x Gaming router during Black Friday since it was $100 off, but I am having problems with dropped connections. So a bit of background, I have a modem with built in wireless from the ISP, but for the longest time, my room didn't have great coverage. It was manageable, but I wasn't taking the full advantage of the fiber internet I have. I saw this router as a way to get better signal and speed, and it did the job, except for sometimes dropping connection (very annoying in Overwatch). I played around, and had all devices not connect to the original Wi-Fi, and only the new router's. That didn't work. I played around with the "Access Point" and "Wireless Router" options in the tether app, neither did seem to change anything. I made sure devices weren't auto connecting to more than 1 wireless network (and only the 2.4 or 5GHz of the new router), but still to no avail.

Some other stray observations: It seems to happen more often depending on what program is running, for example, it happened more in Overwatch than PUBG (i don't think it ever DCed while in PUBG), but sometimes idling on desktop will DC too). And sometimes i think the problem isn't there since it doesn't happen. 

When I had different devices connected to the old router/modem and the new router, all will lose internet connection when it happened (the modem/router goes red and restarts).

What should i do next to test/remedy this problem?

Thanks

It may be an external factor like a microwave or someone walking between your computer and the router. You can try switching what band you are connecting to see if that fixes it. 2.4Ghz can penetrate better through walls and people, while 5Ghz is more resistant to interference from a microwave. What is your connection strength for both bands?

Thanks for the reply. All are very strong, full bars. I don't what could interfere with the router. Nearby, I only have an Arlo Pro Hub, and I disconnected the thingy that communicates with the Solar Panels to collect usage and production data. There are 2 5GHz connections, should i disable one of them? Next I'll try connecting only to the 2.4 and see what happens.