Rare issue (?) SOS - 2 monitors and a 1080 ti OC

Mush1e

Hello,

I am in trouble, i've been looking to fix my issue for over a month now but without a permanent solution, or any kind of solution that would bring peace to my mind, so please if you have any ideas how to fix my issue... Comment below, thank you in advance!

So, I I used to have a gtx 1060 and ran 2 monitors (1st monitor 144hz connected to gpu via DP and 2nd monitor 60hz connected via DVI-D to gpu) without any issues, didn't see any flickering or massive fps drops / stuttering ingames or idle.

But now... Since I upgraded to a gtx 1080 ti OC edition, my core and memory clock speeds of the GPU randomly jump from around 300mhz to max core and memory clocks when idle, as shown in the image below. This amazingly fast jump in core & memory clocks cause a flicker on the screen and sometimes I have around 3-5 of these weird jumps in a matter of a minute... This causes my main screen (144hz) to flicker etc. Everytime the core/memory clock speeds jump from around 300 to max so around 1510 core clock speed  and around 5500 memoryclock speed...

I've tried re-installing drivers and installing older gpu drivers, didn't work. Also i've tried changing the power saving modes on nvidia control panel AND lastly, I've tried to update bios etc, nothing has worked so far. I've also tried using "nvidiainspector - multidisplay power" which helps somewhat but still the flickering happens...

Sometimes the flickering / core jumping up and down happen in games too and that causes massive fps drops (for example from 100+ to around 15 fps for around 5 seconds).

Please if you have any kind of suggestions or any kind of idea on how to guide me on this... Please do, because it is getting unbearable... :)

I also upgraded my motherboard and cpu if that helps..

16gb ram

ryzen 7 2700x

gtx 1080 ti

asus tuf plus gaming mobo

Thank you!

msi afteburn.png

Whats your power supply wattage? as its possible it not getting enough wattage with it being overclocked, also take into account on these big cards fans can consume a tad more power especially when overclocked.

also seems a daft question what was the GPU temps at the time?

if none of these, i'm assuming you are running windows 10. I have read a few places that it can be windows 10 apps that cause issues with some cards. these cause the cards to max out clock speeds randomly when the are idle. 

chrome is another one, there is an option to turn off background app when chrome is closed, could possibly be both windows and chrome ( personally had this issue with high CPU usage randomly) 

only other issue i can think off is the monitors are effecting the drivers, try setting your 144hz to 120hz see if there is any effect there. ( not sure how you would fix that issue, but it has help some issues similar to this, i have had in the past with older gpus.) 

other then these, you have done all the basic needs and musts :/ not sure what else it could be. hope these help. 

Just now, Yeti in a thong said:

Whats your power supply wattage? as its possible it not getting enough wattage with it being overclocked, also take into account on these big cards fans can consume a tad more power especially when overclocked.

if none of these, i'm assuming you are running windows 10. I have read a few places that it can be windows 10 apps that cause issues with some cards. these cause the cards to max out clock speeds randomly when the are idle. 

chrome is another one, there is an option to turn off background app when chrome is closed, could possibly be both windows and chrome ( personally had this issue with high CPU usage randomly) 

only other issue i can think off is the monitors are effecting the drivers, try setting your 144hz to 120hz see if there is any effect there. ( not sure how you would fix that issue, but it has help some issues similar to this, i have had in the past with older gpus.) 

other then these, you have done all the basic needs and musts :/ not sure what else it could be. hope these help. 

Hello, thanks for replying to me!

I have a 650W evga gold 80+ power supply so it should be enough (?), I can get the gpu to work on maximum clock speeds for as long as I have my pc on so it shouldn't be the power supply, but this causes a lot of unnecessary heat, especially when idle... Gpu temps are usually 35-38 when idle, if I have my core and memory clocks at maximum my gpu temperature goes easily to around 45+, even without any significant load on gpu (basic idle, some firefox tabs open). I added some more pictures to this reply, about gpu usage, temps, core clocks etc.

I've heard that too before that windows 10 has some issues with some gpus, I've paid attention what processes use my gpu etc. and especially "desktop's icons management" (also known as dwm.exe - google it if you havent heard about it) uses the gpu randomly 1% to 10% on random, and the usage jumps from around 3% to 7% etc. rapidly every second etc. this might be the cause?? not sure though how to fix this and it's still only 1-10% of gpu usage I guess, the clocks shouldn't jump instantly to maximum right?

I use firefox, any idea on how firefox could effect gpu usage and high clocks and how to fix this?

Okey, I will attempt to set my refresh rate to 120hz and I'll report back soon, few minutes.

I guess the gpu usage isn't causing the extremely high speeds, in my experience it happens, when in a matter of a second or two, gpu usage goes from lets say 3% to 20% or even 25% sometimes, thats when the core and memory clock speeds jump up to max instantly -> therefore causing flickering of screen... What do you think about this?

I appreciate your suggestions and your help kind sir.

asfter2.png

afff2.png

20 minutes ago, Yeti in a thong said:

Okey, I changed my 1st monitor's refresh rate to 120hz and I played around a bit, I mean I opened some browser tabs, minimized them fast re-opened fast etc. etc. Moved from 2nd screen to 1st screen and vice versa. I will add a picture below to show how my clock speeds still jump and down, even more now than before... BUT the flickering doesn't occur at all anymore! Which is awesome, I can't thank you enough kind sir... I mean, this does kinda suck though, I paid for a 144hz monitor and I will be able to use it in 120hz mainly...? I guess this is the best solution so far, thank you once again! My core and memory clock speeds still tend to jump up and down for random reasons and I am quite sure it isn't supposed to be that way, but hey I've heard people who have multiple monitors have the same issue so I guess this wil have to do.

Thank you!

120hz.png

glad to help, i had the same issue with a previous GPU, what was more strange was i had the same GPU in a different build and had no issues! so i swapped them around and same issue with the same make and model  just obviously different card. to this day i have still not figured out what the issue was.  but glad this helped! an hopefully it will put you down the right path towards the issue at hand. I personally give up once i found this fix as they was 60hz monitors and i was running them at 59hz ( stupid i know) 

but i see the pain if you have paid for 144hz monitor i guess you want your bang for your buck! 

its a far out question but you don't happen to have a free sync monitor and trying to run it off a nvida GPU (g-sync) . As some monitors are pre-set with free sync in their there settings on the actual monitor them self's not on the actual pc 

13 hours ago, Yeti in a thong said:

glad to help, i had the same issue with a previous GPU, what was more strange was i had the same GPU in a different build and had no issues! so i swapped them around and same issue with the same make and model  just obviously different card. to this day i have still not figured out what the issue was.  but glad this helped! an hopefully it will put you down the right path towards the issue at hand. I personally give up once i found this fix as they was 60hz monitors and i was running them at 59hz ( stupid i know) 

but i see the pain if you have paid for 144hz monitor i guess you want your bang for your buck! 

its a far out question but you don't happen to have a free sync monitor and trying to run it off a nvida GPU (g-sync) . As some monitors are pre-set with free sync in their there settings on the actual monitor them self's not on the actual pc 

Ah I see, that is really unfortunate... I guess it might be something on nvidia's end? Not sure if drivers could fix this issue.

I do have a monitor that is capable of free sync and yes I have a nvidia gpu, what do you exactly mean by that? Do you mean that my monitor would run automatically on freesync? Or at least try to run in freesync with a nvidia gpu (it doesn't work obviously)?

I checked my settings on my monitor and I didn't see anything regarding freesync though?

I have an acer XF270H monitor.