Seeking Guidance

PixelGeek

Readers digest version: I'd like some nice sounding, durable headphones.

<$400

Preferable metal construction or a durable plastic, like my current cans

Oval earcups 

Removable wire

Capable of outputting strong bass, and crisp highs. (multi-driver maybe?)

I can only guess that powered headphones would be best for this, if it isn't rechargeable, I'm not interested. 

Weight is not a problem, neither is general look, I'm all about sound and durability. 

Long Version:   I'm a highschool student, I listen to music all the time, everywhere, my tastes and genres very immensely. 

My current set (pictured) is a pair of Skull Candy Hesh 2 Wireless, I normally use them plugged in, with an old aux cord probably from my grandma's 2005 computer. I replaced the standard earcups with the old oval earcups from my Turtle Beach x12s, because the leather, circular earcups were really uncomfortable. 

Anyways, these headphones are probably the most durable things own, and my life can definitely be quite abusive to my cans. Between being dropped, slept on, and crushed by luggage, these things refuse to break. The only drawback is that they sound... Bad. So I need some guidance. I'd like some nice sounding, durable headphones. These headphones don't get very loud without clipping, and any bass at all kills my mids and highs, if it produces any bass at all. 

My LG V20 claims to be able to drive up to 250ohm If I remember correctly. 

If these Mythical perfect headphones don't exist, that's fine. I'm just looking for help from people who know a lot more about this than I do. 

20181203_082855.jpg

I see your budget says less than 400, meaning you can hit up to the 300's. This is a perfect range for some Sennheiser headphones. I'd do some research on them. You can also look at Audio-Technica, another great brand. 

21 minutes ago, DVA said:

I see your budget says less than 400, meaning you can hit up to the 300's. This is a perfect range for some Sennheiser headphones. I'd do some research on them. You can also look at Audio-Technica, another great brand. 

Thank you for the recommendation, do you have any specific models in mind?

13 minutes ago, DVA said:

I'd recommend these, they are $200 USD and are VERY popular among the Audiophile community. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

They are open-back fyi. 

I'm more of a closed back kinda guy, I don't really like others to be able to hear my music, are the PXC 550 Wireless any good? They seem alright. 

14 minutes ago, PixelGeek said:

I'm more of a closed back kinda guy, I don't really like others to be able to hear my music, are the PXC 550 Wireless any good? They seem alright. 

I am not too sure about those myself. All I know is that Sennheiser is definitely one of the best brands out there for purely receiving audio. They make gaming headsets too, but it's in their market so why wouldn't they. Their primary consumer base is from people who love audio, like you. 

I'd say look into something that meets your requirements and price range, and then start searching up reviews and consumer feedback. I ALWAYS trust consumer feedback over critic reviews, unless it's by a noteworthy reviewer on YouTube like RandomFrankP, Hardware Canucks, LinusTT, BitWit, JayzTwoCents, Nexus, and so on. 

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

I am not too sure about those myself. All I know is that Sennheiser is definitely one of the best brands out there for purely receiving audio. They make gaming headsets too, but it's in their market so why wouldn't they. Their primary consumer base is from people who love audio, like you. 

I'd say look into something that meets your requirements and price range, and then start searching up reviews and consumer feedback. I ALWAYS trust consumer feedback over critic reviews, unless it's by a noteworthy reviewer on YouTube like RandomFrankP, Hardware Canucks, LinusTT, BitWit, JayzTwoCents, Nexus, and so on. 

All the reviews seem positive, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. 

I'm now rocking (pun intended ) the Marshal Mid Bluetooth ,and i am very fond of them now , would totally recommend, but beware the clamping force is hard/ strong , and required a long time  to break in about 2 months until my head got accommodated with them, and that after i put the around a set of book overnight .  (at least you can rest assure these wont fall off your head even in the middle of a tornado) .

5 hours ago, PixelGeek said:

yep the pxc 550 are good , i got the opportunity to thest them allongside the marshall, and also the sony mdr xb950n1's , but i decided to go for the marshall , they seamed to have the best neutral sound (imo, or at least the most a bluetoth hs could have,  the pxc and the sony's were a bit to much on the bass  area ), and the best price , got them for 220 us , but there is also the ANC version that is 50 dollars more and come with a hard leather/velvet case  in true Marshall fashion.

Sennheiser Momentum wireless over ear are really nice to use on the go. I have the on ear model and have used them for close to 4 years now.