Sennheiser PC37X vs HD6XX vs HyperX Cloud II

KSP
Go to solution Solved by Jdnoss1234,

The HD6XX are in a different league entirely from the other headphones you listed. However, they are 300 ohm which can give even motherboards with high end on-board audio a run for its money. Check out the HD58X Jubilee, they have half the impedance so you can make better use of them without an amp. As for surround sound, it is really just a gimmick. The A50s are just stereo headphones with a bunch of software and DSP correction to make up for the fact that they are not particularly good headphones by themselves. A good pair of headphone will give you those same effects if the game audio is worth a damn. Many modern FPS games will use HRTF method for positional audio when you are using headphones, some use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. This will give you a binaural effect in games. Try some regular headphones and watch some videos from The Sound Traveler or a video called virtual barbershop.

Hey guys,

So I recently decided to refund my Astro A50s after they served me well for 2 years, and I’m in the market for new headphones. I primarily use headphones to play video games, but I enjoy listening to music and watching movies from time to time as well (Id say it’s 80% gaming and 20% music/movies). As for the games I play, I mostly find myself playing FPS games like Rainbow 6 Siege and Battlefield 5.

After much thought I’ve narrowed down my headphone search to the Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X, Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX, and Hyper X Cloud II’s. 

Ive heard of the infamous reputation that Sennheiser has and am quite intrigued to try them out. Both the PC37X and HD6XX, however, don’t have 7.1 Surround Sound, which I felt I enjoyed much on my A50s. I do realize that the PC37X’s and HD6XX’s are made for entirely different purposes, but after reading some online, I saw that quite a few people recommended the HD6XX’s in combination with a stand-alone mic for gaming over the PC37X’s. For the types of games I play (FPS) and the decent amount of music I listen to, would buying the HD6XX’s over the PC37X be the better choice?

As for the Hyper X Cloud II’s.. well.. I think we’ve all heard about these. From what I read, they are solid overall headphones. Nothing very outstanding, but nothing too bad either. How would this headset compare to the PC37X/HD6XX? I guess it’s somewhat worthy to mention that the Cloud II’s have Surround Sound.

TL;DR, PC37X or HD6XX or Cloud II’s?

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

The HD6XX are in a different league entirely from the other headphones you listed. However, they are 300 ohm which can give even motherboards with high end on-board audio a run for its money. Check out the HD58X Jubilee, they have half the impedance so you can make better use of them without an amp. As for surround sound, it is really just a gimmick. The A50s are just stereo headphones with a bunch of software and DSP correction to make up for the fact that they are not particularly good headphones by themselves. A good pair of headphone will give you those same effects if the game audio is worth a damn. Many modern FPS games will use HRTF method for positional audio when you are using headphones, some use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. This will give you a binaural effect in games. Try some regular headphones and watch some videos from The Sound Traveler or a video called virtual barbershop.