PC Assembly - Questions

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

1) You can use the case after you mounted the psu

2) Yes, but you might scratch it

3) Yes, the wrong cable won't fit in a given slot. Don't try to force cables in even if they have the same number of pins. Either way, they should be labeled on the psu or on the cables themselves.

4) No, just make sure the pc is booting from the right drive when you power it back up.

5) No, you can hold your phone - but I would get some sort of stand, you'll have a hard time building the system with only one hand.

1.- I don't have an anti-static wristband, can I "discharge" my self by just touching the wall?

2.- Is it okay if I build it on a crystal surface? (it's a desktop)

3.- Can I plug the cables into any slot in the PSU as long as it is the correct shape? or do they have an specific order to follow?

4.- Once it's already built and working, and I want to add another storage drive:

Are there any precautions to follow? (aside from turning off the PC)

5.- I want to record a video of unboxing and assembly, for warranty purposes, in case something doesn't work I would have evidence:

Does holding the celphone cause static?

Thank you

5 minutes ago, Hi P said:

1.- I don't have an anti-static wristband, can I "discharge" my self by just touching the wall?

You can touch the case just make sure to ground it with the PSU first.

1) You can use the case after you mounted the psu

2) Yes, but you might scratch it

3) Yes, the wrong cable won't fit in a given slot. Don't try to force cables in even if they have the same number of pins. Either way, they should be labeled on the psu or on the cables themselves.

4) No, just make sure the pc is booting from the right drive when you power it back up.

5) No, you can hold your phone - but I would get some sort of stand, you'll have a hard time building the system with only one hand.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't worry about recording your unboxing, if a part is truly doa the manufacturer shouldn't give you too much grief. 

Also you can use a plugged in psu as a ground point. It doesn't need to be on, just plugged in. 

Plugging in the cables should be straight forward. Each cable should be labeled on the psu and ends of the cables, just make sure they all match since some units have keyed plugs, but that dosent make them fool proof. 

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes, the wrong cable won't fit in a given slot. Don't try to force cables in even if they have the same number of pins. Either way, they should be labeled on the psu or on the cables themselves.

That being said, if you are asking about the order of cables within a certain category (for instance, SATA or PCIE) it doesn't matter where you plug the correct one (doesn't have to be from left to right or smth).

EDIT: nvm I just saw how the question was asked so my post wasn't necessary here.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

4 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

That being said, if you are asking about the order of cables within a certain category (for instance, SATA or PCIE) it doesn't matter where you plug the correct one (doesn't have to be from left to right or smth).

Well, you could say the are all the "right" cable for the slot - so it doesn't invalidate the idea that

the wrong cable won't fit in a given slot

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well, you could say the are all the "right" cable for the slot - so it doesn't invalidate the idea that

Yea yea, I just edited my previous post - I only meant that if the PSU has, say, 4 PCIE slots it doesn't matter where he plugs the GPU cable (as long it;s one of the 4 lol) 

Like I said, my post not needed :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones