Show the weather when Smart TV auto Powers-On?

Cheesus182

Hey guys,

I've been fiddling around with my Hisense Smart TV for the past couple of hours, trying to find a way for the TV to turn on every morning and display the weather.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do so. While the timer function does allow the TV to be turned on automatically every morning at a set time, it just displays "No input devices found" instead of the main menu which has the weather on it.

I've thought about setting up an IFTTT on my phone to cast the weather but unfortunately I'm on a University network which makes casting wirelesly impossible.

Other than that, I have been considering something like the raspberry pi but 15 bucks to display the weather just seem like a waste.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!

On a locked down internet, you're kinda SOL for any kind of casting service. If it makes it any better, there is software that has been developed for the RPI to display more than just weather. People have used flat-screen TV's behind mirrors to make a sort of RPI-powered morning display with Agenda, meetings, to-do and of course weather, all displayed! Do some googling, i'm pretty sure there's an instructables for it. Honestly I don't think $15 is too bad considering the RPI can be used for other things once you're done with it..... or not i suppose.

It's very versitile, you can use it to do many different things with that TV. Maybe even a retro game console?

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

15 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

On a locked down internet, you're kinda SOL for any kind of casting service. If it makes it any better, there is software that has been developed for the RPI to display more than just weather. People have used flat-screen TV's behind mirrors to make a sort of RPI-powered morning display with Agenda, meetings, to-do and of course weather, all displayed! Do some googling, i'm pretty sure there's an instructables for it. Honestly I don't think $15 is too bad considering the RPI can be used for other things once you're done with it..... or not i suppose.

It's very versitile, you can use it to do many different things with that TV. Maybe even a retro game console?

Hm, I thought as much. That's unfortunate.

I've been looking into the RPI and the Zero W looks decent for 10$, add a 5$ mini HDMI - HDMI cable onto that and it should connect easily.

Since I have never worked with an RPI before, is there any thing else I would need to connect the RPI to my TV besides a USB cable to power it and the mini hdmi cable?
Also, is there a good way of just powering it on along with the TV and displaying the weather, without any input?