Linux On ASUS EeePc ???

I was wondering what Linux OS would be best for a tiny EeePc... Intel atom processor nothing in any way amazing... It does not of course have a CD rom drive of course so I would also need advice for putting the OS on a flash drive. Any advice is appreciated thanks very much..

I know someone who did this very thing, because yeah, the atom isn't all that good. He uses Ubuntu because of the simple UI, but there's mageia and there's also gmac Linux that looks like Mac os

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You can put the ISO on the flash drive using a tool called Rufus . It makes bootable USB drives from the ISO files.

Secondly, if you're worried about performance, Ubuntu has a mint distro that's mainly designed for Raspberry Pi's since they don't have a ton of computing power. I'd try mint first, see if you like it, if not, try regular ubuntu. It's not super intensive either.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Just now, dj_ripcord said:

You can put the ISO on the flash drive using a tool called Rufus . It makes bootable USB drives from the ISO files.

Secondly, if you're worried about performance, Ubuntu has a mint distro that's mainly designed for Raspberry Pi's since they don't have a ton of computing power. I'd try mint first, see if you like it, if not, try regular ubuntu. It's not super intensive either.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Ubuntu has a mint distro that's mainly designed for Raspberry Pi's since they don't have a ton of computing power. 

That's not at all what mint is about, though. Mint is just an Ubuntu derivative but it's by no means lighter. Lubuntu is, though. That runs on a potato, granted the graphics work.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Any specific reason you want Linux? If you're just trying to breath life into an old device I'd check out CloudReady, it's similar to ChromeOS that runs on Chromebooks and great for streaming content and web browsing. I have an older version of it installed on a HP Mini 210 (Intel Atom N2600, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD) and I was never able to stream Netflix, Amazon Video, or YouTube on it with Windows or Linux but with CloudReady I can stream all of them at fullscreen without any dropped frames or buffering. It's really impressive how much I can do with it now that I couldn't do before (even with LXDE and XFCE on Ubuntu and Fedora).

-KuJoe

On 12/3/2018 at 4:42 AM, georgezilla said:

Puppy or Damn Small?

Damn small...