help

XR6

basically i tried to reconnect my front header cables as they became loose. i did it all right to gigabyte's manual, made sure each one of the cables is seated correctly in the right place and it just won't work. 

my computer won't turn on. no lights, no fans, nothing.

i even tried putting a screwdriver onto the pins and that did nothing.

any plugs, cables and connectors are plugged in firmly and the power supply is on aswell as my plug.

please help

this is bad

most PSUs have a switch to turn them on.. is that on?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

most PSUs have a switch to turn them on.. is that on?

yep. it's on.

Just now, 1kv said:

yep. it's on.

what are your specs?

I would do a power supply check but double check that it's actually plugged in first

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

5 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

what are your specs?

cpu: intel i5-4460

ram: 8gb amd r5 1600mhz ddr3

psu: fsp 350w cheap s**t

storage: crucial mx500 250gb ssd (that i was trying to install while this happened, although i took it out to test the pc)

gpu: reference nvidia gtx 960 2gb

7 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

I would do a power supply check but double check that it's actually plugged in first

i know that it is plugged in. i also don't have another psu i can use. 

probably is that PSU

4 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

probably is that PSU

that's what i'm thinking too. i could loan a psu off a pc repair guy i know to test if it is the psu if you want.

Just now, 1kv said:

that's what i'm thinking too. i could loan a psu off a pc repair guy i know to test if it is the psu?

possibly.. i suggest trying 

18 minutes ago, 1kv said:

i know that it is plugged in. i also don't have another psu i can use. 

I was saying to do a psu test look it up you can stick a pin in the header to make sure it's working

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

Just now, JohnDongus said:

I was saying to do a psu test look it up you can stick a pin in the header to make sure it's working

Here is a video on how to do it

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DixcWCrYpw3Y&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwi3xfPKw_XeAhUCHHwKHRujB-YQtwIwAXoECAoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3wXW48UzgZxT0Vdl-tdfoA

3 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

i did, nothing happened. it just stayed off. no fans or lights.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

i did, nothing happened. it just stayed off. no fans or lights.

then your mobo is probably DOA or broken

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

yep, i'm pretty sure it's done.

36 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

I think you mean psu, he tested the psu not the mobo

1 minute ago, JohnDongus said:

I think you mean psu, he tested the psu not the mobo

If the screwdrivers and pins test doesn't work then it's a dead mobo as the PSU has nothing to do with it. I'm just going to try and get a new motherboard as Z87/Z97 motherboards don't cost too much.. 

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

If the screwdrivers and pins test doesn't work then it's a dead mobo as the PSU has nothing to do with it. I'm just going to try and get a new motherboard as Z87/Z97 motherboards don't cost too much.. 

I'm confused too.

The video that was shown to the OP wasn't the pin test on the motherboard. It was the test where you stick a paperclip into the 24 pin on the PSU side to test it.

If that did nothing, it's absolutely a dead power supply not a motherboard.

You test the power supply and you do the pin test on the motherboard.

It's only when the paperclip test works on the power supply and the screwdriving-pin test on the motherboard doesn't work that it's a dead motherboard.

I mean, the motherboard could be dead too, but if the paperclip test on the PSU didn't work, it's definitely dead so that's what they should replace first. I really hope that blowing the PSU didn't destroy any other components, but replace it first because you may be fine. 

Never cheap out on a power supply in the future. It's the most important part of your build.

I hope that cleared up any misunderstandings :) 

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

Again, I don't believe your motherboard is dead. You should replace the power supply first with something around 550w 80+ bronze or higher.  That motherboard your asking about is also refurbished. It had dead pins and the seller said he fixed it. The problem is that you can get a motherboard "working again" even without some pins contacting properly and you won't really realize if you have a problem right away, but you could be losing performance you don't know about. Fixing bent motherboard pins in intel sockets can result in breaking some off pretty easily and the CPU might boot fine without that pin, but who knows if you're going to have problems down the line or not.

I wouldn't buy it anyways. When the pins on an AMD CPU get bent, it's not as big of a deal because they're on the CPU and nice and big and easy to work with. They're in the socket with intel and they're not normal strait up and down which makes them very hard to bend back into shape. They're bent in a way so they spring up against the contacts on the bottom of the CPU. I wouldn't my own job doing that let alone someone else. They show the socket in the ad and while most of it looks fine, I do see one pin that doesn't look right to the bottom right so yea...

either way, don't buy that. Too sketchy.

14 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I'm confused too.

The video that was shown to the OP wasn't the pin test on the motherboard. It was the test where you stick a paperclip into the 24 pin on the PSU side to test it.

If that did nothing, it's absolutely a dead power supply not a motherboard.

You test the power supply and you do the pin test on the motherboard.

It's only when the paperclip test works on the power supply and the screwdriving-pin test on the motherboard doesn't work that it's a dead motherboard.

I mean, the motherboard could be dead too, but if the paperclip test on the PSU didn't work, it's definitely dead so that's what they should replace first. I really hope that blowing the PSU didn't destroy any other components, but replace it first because you may be fine. 

Never cheap out on a power supply in the future. It's the most important part of your build.

I hope that cleared up any misunderstandings :) 

I didn't see this post, sorry lol. I did do the pin test, not the paper clip test. I'm going to try the paper clip test though to rule out the PSU. I'm pretty sure it is the PSU now, because last night I tried to turn it on with all of the headers plugged in properly and in the right place. Power button and reset button did not respond and the power light was on but no signs of life. Now when I try that the power light doesn't even turn on. That leads me to believe it's the PSU..

29 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I didn't see this post, sorry lol. I did do the pin test, not the paper clip test. I'm going to try the paper clip test though to rule out the PSU. I'm pretty sure it is the PSU now, because last night I tried to turn it on with all of the headers plugged in properly and in the right place. Power button and reset button did not respond and the power light was on but no signs of life. Now when I try that the power light doesn't even turn on. That leads me to believe it's the PSU..

Cool, just make sure you're careful to put the paperclip in the correct pins of the 24 pin of course.