My First PC Build - The Tale

FrankTheStep

Hi Linus, Linus Media Group Team and all this community,

Let me tell you the story of the 33 years old man who never built a PC. This poor lad didn't know much about how this machinery was doing it's magic. As his (wrongly bought) mac mini failed him, he swear to embark on a quest of building a PC capable of letting him do some work (Light Photoshop and Editing) in is little home and play some games for his pleasure. ''Never Apple again'' he began to shout out loud to everyone. 

But a big challenge was in front of him: Money! Like everybody else...

So he searched the web forest, tried to learn the spells of the RAM, the encatations of the CPU and the dangers of the GPU...He found at some point his Merlin : Linus Tech Tips. With all your content, you were able to help him so much to not be afraid of trying things and talk about PC with the IT team at the office.

So, here we are, choosing and building.

He wanted to the maximum savings as possible so he waited, and waited for the perfect day...Black Friday.

He chose to salvage an old PC Case in the effort saving money and he did want any flashy RGB anyway so he chose to tell everyone he was building a ''sleeper''.

Here is the part list:

AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Quad-Core 3.6 GHz (3.9 GHz Turbo)

GIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory 

EVGA 500 BR 100-BR-0500-K1 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE

- WD Blue 500 G SSD

Rosewill RNX-N250PCEv2, Wireless N300 Wi-Fi Adapter, Up to 300 Mbps (2.4 GHz), Wi-Fi PCIE Network Card (needed Wifi)

- An Old PC Case (If someone knows what it is, please let me know)

Corsair CSSD-BRKT2 Dual SSD Mounting Bracket (For a little more organization)

I will buy the Internal HD Drive in a near future. 

The old DVD Drive and the floppy disk drive will remain just to cover up those holes. 

This build is meant to be upgraded in the future with discovering his needs. Maybe a GPU with a new Power Supply if needed. More memory ? Surely a new Case at some point.

The parts arrived today. Can't wait to build it. I will let you know how it ended up and maybe show some benchmarks (need to learn how to do that too).

Let me know what you think and maybe what I can do in the future to upgrade this thing !

IMG_20181127_103413.jpg

Hey, I got that same RAM. Hope you waited to black friday, since it was among the better deals this year. Also as a guy older than you also working on his first-ever pc build, good luck whippersnapper! Fingers crossed that neither of us bungles the job!

22 hours ago, GrogStache said:

Hey, I got that same RAM. Hope you waited to black friday, since it was among the better deals this year. Also as a guy older than you also working on his first-ever pc build, good luck whippersnapper! Fingers crossed that neither of us bungles the job!

Good news ! I did make any mistakes building it ! Works great and even better than my expectations !

Yeah, got the ram at newegg.ca with Black Friday deals. Only Got today a WD Blue 1T hard drive to give me even more storage!

Good luck with your build too ! Hope you have fun !

The case reminds me a lot of my old Compaq Presario 5000, but without the disk holder on the bottom.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

31 minutes ago, FrankTheStep said:

WD Blue 1T hard drive

Wouldn't happen to be an M.2 form factor would it? More twinsies?!?

On 11/28/2018 at 9:29 PM, GrogStache said:

Wouldn't happen to be an M.2 form factor would it? More twinsies?!?

Yes I think so but you know...money. Maybe in a next upgrade!

By the way, with the specs actually, what kind of GPU could I had with still using the same power supply but still upgrading the performance ?

49 minutes ago, FrankTheStep said:

By the way, with the specs actually, what kind of GPU could I had with still using the same power supply but still upgrading the performance 

Pcpartpicker says you're only pulling around 100W with this build.  Adding 20W for a HDD still leaves you room for just about any video card you'd want.  I threw in a 1080ti and it shows 369 watts.

Have you started the building process?

Just a little advice from my experience. When you apply the CPU thermal paste and done with it, be careful with the paste trail when you lift it over the open PC, because it might drop onto the wrong place like PCIe or RAM slots gap hole, you will have a hard time cleaning it..

Good luck and have fun.. Building a PC with our own hands is highly satisfying..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

wow gg my first build was a core 2 duo build

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧