Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Review

clackclackclack What that sound? A typewriter? Model M IBM keyboard? Tap dancer on the roof? No! It's the Corsair Vengeance K70 keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches!

Well, what can I say about this beautiful, sleek, sexy keyboard that hasn't already been said? Probably not much but I figured I'd give it a try anyhow.

Well lets start with the box: Corsair really never disappoints when it comes to packaging. The box is sturdy, reflects the color scheme of the product within and has all the pertinent information on the front in large, easy to read text. The textured Corsair Vengeance logo is a nice touch too. Moving on....

4B1ZGELl.jpg

What drew me to this build was the colors. I am not a fan of a lot of bright colors. But red is a bright color you say? By bright I mean blues, greens, yellows, white etc. Red to me is closer to dark than it is to light depending on the shade. I like dark shades. It also just so happens that this keyboard will match my up coming build perfectly. Speaking of colors just look at those keys! Textured and ergonomically shaped!? Oh my. There is however one gripe I have with these keys and that will be addressed later on in this review....

HcPg1tFl.jpg

This keyboard comes with the custom 1-6 # keys as well as WASD keys. These are easily swapped out via the included key swapper tool that I failed to take a picture of. It is a full keyboard complete with 10 key. It also has media keys and a volume wheel (aw yiss). My only complain with the keys is the spacing between shift and control keys. Most keyboards have the ~, tab, caps, shift and control keys tightly aligned. The spacing of the latter two keys makes it hard to use them and the WASD keys at the same time to say crouch walk and move a character in game without cramping and fatigue (at least for me). Did I mention that soft touch "faux leather" palm rest and the thick and I mean THICK cable? Sweet damn! So nice. The keyboard also has a USB port on the rear and a USB pass-through cable along with the standard keyboard cable. It also has 3 speeds on the rear for compatibility with BIOS etc so that it picks up the keyboard.

Sexy aerial view:

39mr5gNl.jpg

Now on to the back-light and my major gripes: This keyboard has great back-lighting. It has 3 intensity levels, multiple programmable modes (all keys, 1-6 + WASD + arrow keys, and select your own keys/individually program each key to light or not). The issue I have is that the custom 1-6 WASD keys have bleed through when illuminated as seen below. The red LED is so strong that it creates a circle of light when illuminating the keys instead of the nice even back-light you get with the standard keys. I don't know if I can modify the inside of the custom keys to deminish this issue using black paint or white out or something. But it really detracts from the keyboard a lot in my opinion.

O8YMAsSl.jpg

qOfZ4QXl.jpg

Other than the slight back-lighting flaw with the custom keys and the wide spacing of the keys, I love this keyboard. It is absolutely everything I want in a keyboard. The back-lighting is nice and customizable up to a point. The key feel is nice, I mean ridiculously nice. The black brushed metal finish is also a nice touch. Overall I give this 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. Would have given it 5 out of 5 stars except for the back-light bleed on the custom keys and the hand cramping due to the large key spacing. But don't let that deter you from buying this if you want it. It is most excellent!

bill-and-ted-excellent.jpg

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Waiting for Corsair to get their Shit together and send me the blue version that I ordered 9 days ago...

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Waiting for Corsair to get their Shit together and send me the blue version that I ordered 9 days ago...

I'm waiting for someone to bring this to Romania!It's been half a year already -.-.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This is why you order from Newegg.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

The K70 really is a sexy keyboard... I'm so excited for their RGB mechanical line though. Did anyone see Linus' video on that today? I was drooling... lol

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

This is why you order from Newegg.

but its out of stock :( I emailed Corsair but no avail... Now I need to just cancel my order and buy off of NCIX....

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

The K70 really is a sexy keyboard... I'm so excited for their RGB mechanical line though. Did anyone see Linus' video on that today? I was drooling... lol

Saw it. The RGB would be wasted on me though :| I just want them to make a keyboard with Ripple and other lighting effects.

PSU

but its out of stock :( I emailed Corsair but no avail... Now I need to just cancel my order and buy off of NCIX....

Really :V i just ordered this like a week ago from Newegg.

PSU

Really :V i just ordered this like a week ago from Newegg.

They have all the other switches but the Blue :(

Hope I could help!

They have all the other switches but the Blue :(

Why the blue? Not like you can see the switches xD

PSU

Why the blue? Not like you can see the switches xD

Oh the MX switches all the other ones fell dull to me not as stimulating as the Blues

Hope I could help!

Oh the MX switches all the other ones fell dull to me not as stimulating as the Blues

The reds sure clack and have good resistance when pushed O.o

PSU

The reds sure clack and have good resistance when pushed O.o

;) Also good news just canceled my Corsair order and ordered off of Newegg I guess it came in stock today! :D

Hope I could help!

;) Also good news just canceled my Corsair order and ordered off of Newegg I guess it came in stock today! :D

YAY! :D

PSU

YAY! :D

Holy crap is ordering from their website a big mistake! :D

Hope I could help!