i5-U540?

I recently picked up a entry level gaming laptop for my little brother for Christmas for about 80 dollars. At first I was sure it was a m11x from Alienware (dell) but now that I look up the hardware specs (and model number) I have come up with nothing. Firts thing that confuses me is that I cant find any records of a core i5-U540 anwhere, closest match is the core i5-540UM which is a socketed CPU and I am 99% sure the CPU in this laptop is soldered to the board. I am going to open it up when I get home and upgrade the 120Gb HDD to a 1Tb SSD and give the 8Gb of ram an upgrade to 16Gb if it will let me or just put a kit of higher speed memory in there. I would also like to give it a bios update since the one in here is absolute garbage and also put windows 10 on this bad boy and get i running nice and...well...decent, it isn't that powerful of a machine but it ran tf2, so thats good enough..
(bios says I have 4 cores and the base clock of the CPU is 1.07Ghz on each core I can also apply a 166 Mhz overclock on this thing)
If anybody has any info on this processor please let me know! 

Yeah, it's likely a 540UM. A 1.2GHz dual core with HT from 2010. The 540UM uses a BGA, which means it's soldered.

What will your brother be doing with it? I don't think it's nearly powerful enough to warrant 16GB and a 1TB SSD. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

19 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yeah, it's likely a 540UM. A 1.2GHz dual core with HT from 2010. The 540UM uses a BGA, which means it's soldered.

What will your brother be doing with it? I don't think it's nearly powerful enough to warrant 16GB and a 1TB SSD. 

i did some extra looking and its actually a i5-u520 which also doesn't exist

1 minute ago, BootyDustBandit said:

i did some extra looking and its actually a i5-u520 which also doesn't exist

Then it's the 520UM, which does exist, and is about 10% less powerful again. It's about as fast as a Core 2 Duo mobile from 2007.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

also I have the extra parts so I figure I'd give him the upgrade.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Then it's the 520UM, which does exist, and is about 10% less powerful again.

then why does it say its a i5-U520?

then why does it say its a i5-U520?

Misprint. It happens. 

3 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

also I have the extra parts so I figure I'd give him the upgrade.

At least it'll feel somewhat fast when browsing the web, I guess.

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Misprint. It happens. 

At least it'll feel somewhat fast when browsing the web, I guess.

well it will actually run pretty okay for an entry level gaming laptop. Keep in mind that this was 80 dollars.

Just now, BootyDustBandit said:

well it will actually run pretty okay for an entry level gaming laptop. Keep in mind that this was 80 dollars.

Depends on which games. I mean, it's from 2010 and it's a low end 2010 gaming laptop. Minecraft (with optifine) and Source engine games will run beautifully, though.

Depends on which games. I mean, it's from 2010 and it's a low end 2010 gaming laptop. Minecraft (with optifine) and Source engine games will run beautifully, though.

I cant seem to remember the gpu in here and right now I cant take out the laptop.

I cant seem to remember the gpu in here and right now I cant take out the laptop.

It's a geforce GT335M. Basically a slightly cut down GT350M. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-335M.24060.0.html

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

its going to be running old games really probably minecraft but he will probably try to play PUBG and Fortnite on here too, which probably wont work unless i get like a gaming box to go with this or something (which isn't happening and most likely isnt even compatible)

It's a geforce GT335M. Basically a slightly cut down GT350M. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-335M.24060.0.html

well it's better than any machine I have gotten him before, last year it was the original Ipad which he downloaded millions of viruses on and tried to throw away (which is probably for the best because it sucks)

its going to be running old games really probably minecraft but he will probably try to play PUBG and Fortnite on here too, which probably wont work unless i get like a gaming box to go with this or something (which isn't happening and most likely isnt even compatible)

Both the CPU and GPU are too weak to probably even start Pubg and Fortnite, sadly. Driver support for the GT200 GPUs also ended well before these games came out.

well it's better than any machine I have gotten him before, last year it was the original Ipad which he downloaded millions of viruses on and tried to throw away (which is probably for the best because it sucks)

Viruses on an iPad? He must've been the first to achieve that, lol. 

Both the CPU and GPU are too weak to probably even start Pubg and Fortnite, sadly. Driver support for the GT200 GPUs also ended well before these games came out.

Viruses on an iPad? He must've been the first to achieve that, lol. 

he tried to use a free jailbreak software off the internet despite telling him I would try to properly jailbreak it later

he tried to use a free jailbreak software off the internet despite telling him I would try to properly jailbreak it later

Haha, yeah that explains it :D 

so what laptop is this? I know it's an alienware with an i5-520UM and a GT 335M and 8 Gb of mystery speed memory because it refuses to tell me. So was i right? is it a m11x? i thought it may be an m11x r2 but probably not

so what laptop is this? I know it's an alienware with an i5-520UM and a GT 335M and 8 Gb of mystery speed memory because it refuses to tell me. So was i right? is it a m11x? i thought it may be an m11x r2 but probably not

Yeah, if it's an alienware with a ULV i5 520 it can only be the M11x R2

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

the site says its running 1333 but I don't thing thats right. First off this system has 8Gb already and the cpu only supports up to 800 Mhz if i'm not mistaken.

the site says its running 1333 but I don't thing thats right. First off this system has 8Gb already and the cpu only supports up to 800 Mhz if i'm not mistaken.

Could be 1333 memory that's downclocked. Pretty normal.

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Could be 1333 memory that's downclocked. Pretty normal.

right because then they don't have to manufacture or buy different memory for different systems, the could just use the same 1333 in a better system that can support it. Pretty cool...but sucks that the laptop doesn't support higher. Looks like that speed upgrade isn't very useful afterall unless I can get better latency but thats doubtful. The SSD still works, though maybe he doesn't need a Terabyte just yet, he can have my 500Gb Samsung 860 Evo, which hillariously is about the same price as what I got the laptop for.