TV screen issue - Samsung J8500

CorrieD

Good morning,

Just a quick blarb to show you where I'm at.

I have a Samsung (unfortunately curved) 55inch JS8500, that has had a few screen replacements in its history. (They had varying degrees of success)

I wasn't happy with the 5th and final one (so the insurance paid out and let me keep the TV.)

I had a box about 3/4 inchs around the screen and bad light bleed in the corners, that I have lessened. I have taken the back off , slackened the white plastic screws/ taken off the front bezel and taped the inner edge and it's softened the effect.

However I am still left with an outline box around the frame, it shows up on some blues and Grey's currently, before I fettled with the screen it was on all colours. 

So what I'm asking then I guess, would the attached be the backlight channels that might need some blocking behind the panel or is this banding / retention?

(The YouTube app pictures help with showing it on my phone camera)

IMG_20181003_174123.jpg

IMG_20181003_174135.jpg

These tv's have had these issues in the past with the bleeding, ESPECIALLY the curved. You bought this direct from Samsung, right? With that model #. Just edge lit life unfortunately. I'm not too sure what else is back there. Has there only been screen replacement? It looks like burn in, but it's not.

Hi yeah from a Samsung store (shut down now)

It only had the screen swaps when it went in (the company was a bit ropey so may of done unnecessary things too lol) 

Has any one done a strip down of a tv LCD screen that's that size on here ? I read 

and tempted as TV technically doesn't owe me anything now.

I've also read, it maybe wrong tho, that the ueJS8500 had some sort local dimming and the edge lighting, so could it be a board playing up ?

Or is it chuck up some nice bias lighting and ignore it ?

Did they replace the T-Con? In the end, you got a free tv it sounds like. Minus the insurance portion, which did it's job ultimately. You can mess with it, or just chalk it up as a free panel and re-purpose it.

15 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Did they replace the T-Con? In the end, you got a free tv it sounds like. Minus the insurance portion, which did it's job ultimately. You can mess with it, or just chalk it up as a free panel and re-purpose it.

Funny you mention that, they were going to and as far as I know they didn't, think that or a new av/motherboard was mentioned but not changed. Maybe you hit the nail on the head I'll cost up a tcon and see. Thank you :)

Would the above or the Av board be to blame, as I keep getting cable and satellite drop out and also occasionally (last couple of months) screen when either heated up or cold, will switch the picture off to blank screen I then press source or a couple of channel up presses brings image back.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I spent today stripping it down, got tape in the channel of light bit. Built back together, tuned on for a minute, all fine then left room came back and .......IMG_20181028_175242_001.thumb.jpg.e89d46771932761a349979a53adcdf43.jpg

You dun goofed! Told you not to mess with it! lol

Uhh, I don't know if that is fixable. You may have damaged the board/panel wires.

At this point, it's already bad, tear it down again, very carefully, and closely inspect for damaged wires or panel separation.

29 minutes ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

You dun goofed! Told you not to mess with it! lol

Uhh, I don't know if that is fixable. You may have damaged the board/panel wires.

At this point, it's already bad, tear it down again, very carefully, and closely inspect for damaged wires or panel separation.

I'll have to have another look during middle of the week :(

i only thought to do it as I was getting a few other symptoms on the screen so knew it may of needing messing with, I was getting what looked like slates in middle of the screen, then the colours were a bit rubbish during the course of the day / night. Maybe it might be a failing board which I in turn have sped up its failure ?

Anything is possible with those Samsung TV's. I've seen the tape that goes around the panel make the tv completely useless, and all it takes is to remove the tape.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 8:24 PM, TheFlyingTraut said:

Anything is possible with those Samsung TV's. I've seen the tape that goes around the panel make the tv completely useless, and all it takes is to remove the tape.

Sorry to dredge this up , it will be the last time as it's going out the window lol 

I got the TV stripped back again, and I was wondering if these bits are integral to it working lol that might have a baring on things. It's missing two on one side 

IMG_20181125_124801__01.jpg