Nintendo Switch 2 (Super Switch) Speculation and Theories Thread

TacoSenpai

I wanted to create a thread for theories and speculation on Nintendo's next gen (or rather mid gen in these days ala PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) console/mobiles.  It is a really interesting time to be sure and Nintendo really hit it out of the park with the mobile/console hybrid idea. 

I know its a bit early in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle but with the lifespan of the 3DS being what it is and with the Switch being a console/mobile hybrid it could potentially have a very long lifespan with multiple revisions.  I also expect Nintendo to improve on the console/mobile hybrid model at least for another generation.  Honestly if they just upspecced the current Switch and called it the Super Switch (thinking back to the NES to the SNES days) I would be totally ok with that.  Some others have also speculated about the potential for portable VR and AR gaming though I have no idea how practical portable VR would be (lookin at you Virtual Boy).

The VR idea might not be a bad idea. I don't remember the weight of the Switch's main body since I've had it docked for a while, but if they slimmed it down, it might work as a headset with the Joycons as controllers.

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

The VR idea might not be a bad idea. I don't remember the weight of the Switch's main body since I've had it docked for a while, but if they slimmed it down, it might work as a headset with the Joycons as controllers.

Thats actually an interesting idea using the joycons as the motion controls.  Only things I'd be worried about would be battery life and system power.

9 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Thats actually an interesting idea using the joycons as the motion controls.

I believe they used them for Labo as motion controllers so the capability exists.

9 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Only things I'd be worried about would be battery life and system power.

Not sure how resolution in VR affects gameplay as I've never used it but they can start small and maybe keep it at lower resolution (720p). Maybe even do Doom or Skyrim VR since they already have them on the platform.

24 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Not sure how resolution in VR affects gameplay as I've never used it but they can start small and maybe keep it at lower resolution (720p). Maybe even do Doom or Skyrim VR since they already have them on the platform.

Yeah I mean the NS screen is a 720p IPS and I assume with a VR headset that would go off and render on the headset.  I think it would need to be beefier to adequately render on a headset but I could be wrong.

There already are 15W TDP Zen Parts on the Market. 

Every one of those should beat the shit out of the nVidia Tegra thingy...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

There already are 15W TDP Zen Parts on the Market. 

Every one of those should beat the shit out of the nVidia Tegra thingy...

I'm not familiar.  We're talking about the mobile GPU right?

22 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I wanted to create a thread for theories and speculation on Nintendo's next gen (or rather mid gen in these days ala PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) console/mobiles.  It is a really interesting time to be sure and Nintendo really hit it out of the park with the mobile/console hybrid idea. 

I know its a bit early in the Nintendo Switch's lifecycle but with the lifespan of the 3DS being what it is and with the Switch being a console/mobile hybrid it could potentially have a very long lifespan with multiple revisions.  I also expect Nintendo to improve on the console/mobile hybrid model at least for another generation.  Honestly if they just upspecced the current Switch and called it the Super Switch (thinking back to the NES to the SNES days) I would be totally ok with that.  Some others have also speculated about the potential for portable VR and AR gaming though I have no idea how practical portable VR would be (lookin at you Virtual Boy).

My guess is that they will make a better version eventually, it just depends how quick nvidia launches new chips at a similar price. also, whenever memory prices finally drop, theyll probably makea model with 8gigs of memory since the momory is actually "socketed" if you know what I mean. (you can remove it and add a new one if it was a universal connector)

7 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I'm not familiar.  We're talking about the mobile GPU right?

No, we are talking about mobile SOCs, that have everything you might (or might not) need integrated.

That includes but is not limited to the CPU and Graphics...

nVidia Tegra X1 to be precise, with the Lower Power Cores deactivated and only the high power ones IIRC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

The Thing I was thinking about was the Ryzen 2500U:

https://www.notebookcheck.com/AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U-SoC.258644.0.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 5 PRO Mobile 2500U.html

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 9/12/2018 at 8:43 AM, atomburst said:

My guess is that they will make a better version eventually, it just depends how quick nvidia launches new chips at a similar price. also, whenever memory prices finally drop, theyll probably makea model with 8gigs of memory since the momory is actually "socketed" if you know what I mean. (you can remove it and add a new one if it was a universal connector)

If they launched a new model with 8GB of RAM I think it would be their next gen system because at that point it could handle more demanding titles.  Either that or they will "new" 3ds it.  I like the idea of socketed memory but Nintendo is kinda like apple with their hardware.

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, we are talking about mobile SOCs, that have everything you might (or might not) need integrated.

That includes but is not limited to the CPU and Graphics...

nVidia Tegra X1 to be precise, with the Lower Power Cores deactivated and only the high power ones IIRC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

The Thing I was thinking about was the Ryzen 2500U:

https://www.notebookcheck.com/AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U-SoC.258644.0.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen 5 PRO Mobile 2500U.html

IIRC as well wasn't the Tegra X2 a thing that was developed?  Ninty definitely has some options in the future it'll be exciting for sure.

38 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

If they launched a new model with 8GB of RAM I think it would be their next gen system because at that point it could handle more demanding titles.  Either that or they will "new" 3ds it.  I like the idea of socketed memory but Nintendo is kinda like apple with their hardware.

IIRC as well wasn't the Tegra X2 a thing that was developed?  Ninty definitely has some options in the future it'll be exciting for sure.

The momory actually is socketed which is strange but if you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETN97XOx4ZY and got to 5:01 you can see him remove the memory, which is not a universal connector, but if nintendo made a new one could easily be replaced.

7 minutes ago, atomburst said:

The momory actually is socketed which is strange but if you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETN97XOx4ZY and got to 5:01 you can see him remove the memory, which is not a universal connector, but if nintendo made a new one could easily be replaced.

interesting.  I would like that but I doubt Nintendo would provide a kit or anything to people to tear it open and upgrade it.  I'd be more than happy to do it on my own personally though.

10 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

interesting.  I would like that but I doubt Nintendo would provide a kit or anything to people to tear it open and upgrade it.  I'd be more than happy to do it on my own personally though.

Im sure they wont. maybe someday if they decide to make better models people will start selling the chip on ebay.

• 4 weeks later...

So it seems there are some rumblings going on now about there indeed being a "Super" or "New" variant of the Nintendo Switch slated to hit in 2019.  Take it as you will with insider rumors and such

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/04/new-version-of-nintendo-switch-reportedly-planned-for-2019

ReviewTechUSA claimed he had an insider (no names of course and take with a grain of salt)