Overheat problem on ROG GL503GE

I just bought a ROG Strix Scar GL503GE with i7-8750H and GTX 1050Ti. After buy it, right away, I update all the Drivers include the BIOS to v 308. I haven't tested the BIOS v306, but my laptop is overheating. Just after I press the render on Adobe Premiere, on XTU, it said Motherboard VR Throttling. The CPU clock speed jump from 3.9 Ghz to 2.2 Ghz. Not only that, when I play Overwatch on High Setting, the CPU clock even go down to 0.8Ghz. And yes, I did turn on Over boost, and l even lift it up, so that the fan get as much air as possible. But the CPU sitll down to 0.8Ghz.

Is anyone uesd the ROG Strix Scar GL503GE that have the same problem like me? Or it was a bad machine among the good ones? 

38723398_197901894412492_399006039506157568_n.png

Its a thin and light Gaming laptop, completely to be expected to throttle under heavy workloads. Rendering videos is a pretty heavy CPU workload, and Gaming can be without adequete cooling as these thin and lights are pretty bleh at it

Going by what the inside of this laptop looks like, I'm honestly not surprised that it's thermal throttling when you throw a full load at it:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bd96b4843b571297c817d4b04b364e31.png

Your best option would be to undervolt and if that doesn't work, probably liquid metal(be extremely careful doing this).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Its a thin and light Gaming laptop, completely to be expected to throttle under heavy workloads. Rendering videos is a pretty heavy CPU workload, and Gaming can be without adequete cooling as these thin and lights are pretty bleh at it

Yes, I do understand that Rendering is very CPU hungry. But I tested on Aida 64, and there is no thermal throttling on the CPU. And for comparing, the Asus TUF Gaming FX504GE-E4059T have the same Hardware as the ROG, same wight, thickness, same case but on gaming, the CPU keep it self at 3.2 Ghz and GPU max load. I did test Render on the other machine, and it get a higher clock speed. 3.0ghz and never go down to 0.8Ghz. And remember that the TUF is a cheaper version of the ROG.   

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Going by what the inside of this laptop looks like, I'm honestly not surprised that it's thermal throttling when you throw a full load at it:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.bd96b4843b571297c817d4b04b364e31.png

That's not GL503GE

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

18 minutes ago, Kodaka said:

GL503GE

The cooling is fine in this model. Try clean install Windows and update BIOS

Also try undervolting and repaste

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Really? That sucks...

Yeah, the GL503GE have two 12 V fan, and if I not wrong, 4 Heat pipe. 

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

The cooling is fine in this model. Try clean install Windows and update BIOS

Also try undervolting and repaste

I did reinstall the Windows with all the Drivers, also running the newest BIOS. But It just keep the 0.8 Ghz clock speed.

I may need to give this to Warranty Services.   

33 minutes ago, Kodaka said:

4 Heat pipe. 

1+2 with separate heatpipes

RMA then

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 6 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 10:50 AM, Kodaka said:

I may need to give this to Warranty Services.   

Hey I have the same laptop and the exact same problem,did you find a fix for it??

On 2/23/2019 at 4:33 PM, Chrisa.abby said:

Hey I have the same laptop and the exact same problem,did you find a fix for it??

Open a new thread, I will try to help

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 2/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Open a new thread, I will try to help

I did