How legit is Windows reset?

TheGermanEngie

Hi all - 

So I just finished this build I'm going to flip and I did some game testing to make sure it's stable, good thermals, acoustics and whatnot, and I want to reset the PC so there is no trace of me left. Does the built in Windows "remove everything" option securely get my stuff off the SSD without a trace or does it just mark the space as empty and can be recovered? should I use DBAN / a third party method?

Either one should work.

Personally, I would make a Windows 10 install disk and do a clean reinstall, wiping the drive completely.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

You can't use DBAN on an SSD, but the motherboard might have an included secure erasure tool and also the SSD manufacturer might have a specific tool as well.

23 hours ago, demonix00 said:

You can't use DBAN on an SSD, but the motherboard might have an included secure erasure tool and also the SSD manufacturer might have a specific tool as well.

DBAN does work on an SSD. I've used it on an 850 EVO, an MX300, and a Kingston SSD. The "quick" option works like any other hard drive

Windows Reset. It works and reactivates windows. I had a boot problem from a unfinished shutdown and did windows reset. 

and it didn't even reset me back to windows 10 Home Kept my enterprise Upgrade!