Would this work thanks

Go to solution Solved by chckovsky,

well... possibly.

It'll likely work, but possibly at a non-optimal setting, giving you worse performance.

Brand doesn't matter that much for standard operation but capacity, speed and TIMINGS do. If you want to run XMP then it should be the excact same model, because all those metrics need to be the same for XMP to work.

so about 3months ago i bought a new system but was limited when my GPU broke i wanted to get 16gb of corsair dominator 3000mhz but was only able to afford the 4x2 and now i wish to upgrade, will i be able to purchase another brand of ram aslong as it runs on the same speed? ps this is the ram i currently have thanks https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-Enthusiast-Desktop/dp/B01550ZJPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526723764&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+dominator+platinum+8gb

You also need to look at the timing (displayed like this usually: c15)

and other factors. It may work, but it is better to buy the same ram for more combactablilty.

well... possibly.

It'll likely work, but possibly at a non-optimal setting, giving you worse performance.

Brand doesn't matter that much for standard operation but capacity, speed and TIMINGS do. If you want to run XMP then it should be the excact same model, because all those metrics need to be the same for XMP to work.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

ok so would it be best to just save more and buy another 4x2 therefore having 16gb of all the same?

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

You also need to look at the timing (displayed like this usually: c15)

and other factors. It may work, but it is better to buy the same ram for more combactablilty.

Yeah, and not only the first number. My ram is 8 GB modules of 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 at 1,5V. For me to run another set together nicely, all these specs must be the same.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

ok thanks i guess ill purchase another 2 sticks and keep compatibility levels at a good standard