System black screens when using a graphics card. Tyan S7012 PCIe Slots.

The title is as bizarre as this issue gets.

-Specs-

Motherboard: Tyan s7012G4MNR (Link to manual)

Chipset: Intel 5520 / ICH10R

CPU: 2x Xeon X5660

GPU: R9 280 (Tested with GT 210 as well)

Ram: 2x8GB, Single Channel

PSU: EVGA 850W G2

Here is a look at how the Motherboard Chipset is set up.

5afc1a1e2d203_TyanS7012SnipblockdiagramMotherboardChipset.PNG.4709b5efaff3037cde5516dccb287e19.PNG

The problem is that I was using my graphics card (R9 280) for almost a year through slot PCIE3, however I recently worked out it was being bottlenecked from going through the two motherboard chips for whatever reason.

So I installed it in slots PCIE4 and PCIE5 but in either, the computer hard crashes when *using a graphics card*. Be the graphics card an R9 280 or a GT 210 in either of those two slots.

That means when playing games or watching videos.

-Things it's not-

Thermals are fine (Year of use in PCIE3 proves this)

Power consumption is fine (Year of use in PCIE3 proves this)

Edit: The PCIe slots have been working fine with a USB3.0 and a WiFi Card

So yeah, I've narrowed it down to something to do with the Intel 5520 chip and the PCIe slots coming off it. I've reinstalled chipset drivers, reset the BIOS, reinstalled graphics drivers. I have no idea where to go from here.

Please help!

EDIT: I should add that it happens spontaneously, it could be 30secs into playing a game or half an hour but it always happens.

In addition to this, it seems to take longer to occur if I turn it back on again just after the crash.

Edited by Pyroven
More relevant title and tags for search optimisation for others with the same issue.

UPDATE: System crashes on LTT website (twice now). It crashed the first time immediately after submitting this post, and the second time as soon as Firefox loaded the webpage again.

@Pyroven
is there any reason you're using dual xeons?

gaming? or productivity? 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

10 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@Pyroven
is there any reason you're using dual xeons?

gaming? or productivity? 

Mostly gaming, got the system really cheap. They were an upgrade from an FX-6350.

3 minutes ago, Pyroven said:

Mostly gaming, got the system really cheap. They were an upgrade from an FX-6350.

not much of an upgrade if you ask me, especially for gaming
the FX-6350 probably does better in gaming
can't comprehend why you would put yourself through this mess only to game, sorry i had to critisize this.

i have no idea why the r9 280 won't work in certain slots but server boards are never tested with consumer products like the R9-280, so it could be a compatibility issue, because PCIE4 and 5 are using a different chipset to connect to the CPU. (even though these days PCIE is supposed to be connected to the CPU directly)

also why do you think your R9-280 is being bottlenecked by PCIE3?

@Pyroven
also i have an r9 280 with an i7-8700k, if you wanna test bottlenecks i can tell you.

18 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

can't comprehend why you would put yourself through this mess only to game, sorry i had to critisize this.

i have no idea why the r9 280 won't work in certain slots but server boards are never tested with consumer products like the R9-280, so it could be a compatibility issue, because PCIE4 and 5 are using a different chipset to connect to the CPU. (even though these days PCIE is supposed to be connected to the CPU directly)

It happens with both an R9 280 and a GT 210, as I said in the post.

And as I explained, the R9 280 was being bottlenecked in PCIE3 for some reason to do with the fact it was going through the second motherboard chip.

And it WAS bottlenecked.

24 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

I should ad that it actually was a nice boost in gaming performance, and also that I usually do a couple of other things while gaming which made it really worth it. Also, it was £100 in total for the upgrade but I appreciate your concern.

9 minutes ago, Pyroven said:

I should ad that it actually was a nice boost in gaming performance, and also that I usually do a couple of other things while gaming which made it really worth it. Also, it was £100 in total for the upgrade but I appreciate your concern.

did you try removing one of the CPU's? only thing i could think of that would cause a problem.

Not familiar with this system, but I did want to ask, Have you checked bios settings for those pcie lanes? I'm sure someone will come through with some actual help but I'm wondering if those slots are just not set right in bios

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+

51 minutes ago, Santo22 said:

Not familiar with this system, but I did want to ask, Have you checked bios settings for those pcie lanes? I'm sure someone will come through with some actual help but I'm wondering if those slots are just not set right in bios

What should I be looking for? I'm out of my depth when it comes to anything PCIe lane configuration.

For example: in my bios I believe under device configuration, I can select if PCIE lanes are disabled, enabled or set to auto as well as what speed x16/x8/x4 etc. I'm just wondering since it works in one lane if possibly the other lanes are not set properly in the bios. Just something to check. Hopefully someone with knowledge of your exact setup can chime in and provide more detailed information. 

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+

Okay so an update:
Tried fiddling around with some BIOS options, they did nothing and now even with the graphics card in the slot PCIE3 the computer crashes and does so sooner than it used to

3 hours ago, Pyroven said:

Okay so an update:
Tried fiddling around with some BIOS options, they did nothing and now even with the graphics card in the slot PCIE3 the computer crashes and does so sooner than it used to

So a further update: Resetting the BIOS options from BIOS->Exit->Restore optimal defaults fixed the graphics card not working when in its original slot PCIE3.

...So I've put it in PCIE4 and reset the BIOS options and so far so good. I may report back if I can confirm or deny in a day or two.

14 hours ago, Pyroven said:

So a further update: Resetting the BIOS options from BIOS->Exit->Restore optimal defaults fixed the graphics card not working when in its original slot PCIE3.

...So I've put it in PCIE4 and reset the BIOS options and so far so good. I may report back if I can confirm or deny in a day or two.

Further Update: The System has crashed ONCE since doing this, so it isn't a fix but has drastically improved the situation.

On 18/05/2018 at 2:55 PM, Pyroven said:

Further Update: The System has crashed ONCE since doing this, so it isn't a fix but has drastically improved the situation.

Further Update: System is crashing just as frequently as before, the above situation was purely by chance.

• 11 months later...

Did you fix the problem..? I have the same motherboard, and i use a HD6950 in PCIe3 and work flawless. Just remember your card needs an external power, and the pcie slot it self only provide you with 25W and not the normal 75W. I haven't yet tried slot 4 and 5, because i can't see the Error display.