Laptop with a production purpose and gaming on the side

Hey all,

I'm having a hard time deciphering between all of the options out there on the market. On top of that, it seems like every site reviews pre-builts differently. I'm about to start school for post-production sound, so I need a computer with enough power to run pro-tools and possibly logic. I'm not a huge gamer, but I still enjoy Skyrim and the deals on steam that I can't get for my PS4. 

I'm based in the states

Here's the specs I'm looking for:

I7 processor

16gb RAM

SSD hardrive (looking for writing speed here, I can always grab an external hard drive for more storage down the line)

Best gpu for my budget

Budget: >$1500

I would like a Windows device, I can't get the same specs with a Mac for the price.

Thanks!

Logic's Apple only last time I checked.

Really quite curious and don't think it's accurate, but Pro-Tools requires a Xeon for some reason?  That's got to be wrong:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-HD-12-System-Requirements

Anyway, aside from the features above, do you have any creature comforts or particular plug types you want?

11 minutes ago, bicky said:

Budget: >$1500

>1500 or <1500?

Is portability important to you?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Really quite curious and don't think it's accurate, but Pro-Tools requires a Xeon for some reason?  That's got to be wrong:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-HD-12-System-Requirements

Anyway, aside from the features above, do you have any creature comforts or particular plug types you want?

Some type c ports would be nice, and an HDMI plug. I'm not huge on using external moniters so plugging into a TV when I need to is fine. I think you're right about logic. In my mind I was thinking Ableton but it seems like you knew what I meant. Good tactile feedback when typing away could be cool, but I'm not sure how to search for that when looking at computers online lol. RGB keys aren't necessary but I wouldn't hate them either. A nice screen panel for watching/editing. That being said, I'm really flexible on the creature comforts part. 

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

>1500 or <1500?

Is portability important to you?

Whoops you're right. Less than 1500 is ideal. I'd likely only be hauling it between home and work, so it's not that big of a deal. I think 15" hits it in the sweet spot.

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Maybe that was an outdated version of the compatibility specs? This page shows that I need at least an i5 for Windows http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-System-Requirements

8 hours ago, bicky said:

Whoops you're right. Less than 1500 is ideal. I'd likely only be hauling it between home and work, so it's not that big of a deal. I think 15" hits it in the sweet spot.

Wait for more CFL-H options

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Wait for more CFL-H options

I'm going to be starting school soon, so I need to update now. My old computer works for browsing the web and now much else these days.

13 minutes ago, bicky said:

I'm going to be starting school soon, so I need to update now

If that's the case, go for P650HS, it's on sale now in Newegg (you can buy form other resellers too). Or GE Raider. Both have 1070 GPU.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

If that's the case, go for P650HS, it's on sale now in Newegg (you can buy form other resellers too). Or GE Raider. Both have 1070 GPU.

Eluctronics and Clevo both have one under the P650HS model number, but you're probably talking about the Clevo right? Even on sale it's just a tad more than I want to spend, as is the raider. Speaking of eluctronics though, have you heard anything good about them? Their products keep popping up in my searches.

25 minutes ago, bicky said:

snip

Eluctronics sellers Clevo, Quanta and Mechrevo laptops. Clevo is ODM which is the 'real' manufacturer. Not sure about how good Eluctronics is, however from what I know their support is kinda mediocre.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler