Gaming monitor: Acer IPS vs Dell TN

Cakefish

Option 1: Acer XB271HU: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017DG09WM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_vvo2AbVW1ZK6G

Option 2: Dell S2417DG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZIOSSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_jzo2Ab4TWWZGF

I have GTX 1080. Currently have a 32” QHD 10 bit 60Hz AMVA panel from AOC but looking to downsize due to having a smaller desk than previously (therefore sitting closer to monitor) and the sudden appearance of an annoying dead pixel. I’ve been happy with AMVA (apparently one of the common variations of VA) but can’t find a suitable VA panel (QHD, 16:9, >60Hz, G-Sync) so unfortunately that doesn’t seem like an option right now.

The Acer looks like the ideal choice but I understand there’s a risk of excessive backlight bleed after reading countless customer reviews on forums/Reddit/retailer sites. So a possible alternative is going for the Dell TN monitor as a compromise for not having to play the IPS panel lottery. My question is simply whether it is worth risking the IPS panel or play it safe with the less spectacular TN panel?

12 minutes ago, Cakefish said:

Just save some money and get a free-sync display with the same panel type?

I'd always suggest IPS over TN for a daily use display. Pretty sure most if not all of these panels are some form of VA rather than true IPS. But they're close enough anyways.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FKcyrH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FKcyrH/by_merchant/

Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  (£482.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £482.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-19 20:24 BST+0100

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just save some money and get a free-sync display with the same panel type?

I'd always suggest IPS over TN for a daily use display. Pretty sure most if not all of these panels are some form of VA rather than true IPS. But they're close enough anyways.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FKcyrH
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FKcyrH/by_merchant/

Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  (£482.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £482.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-19 20:24 BST+0100

Thanks but I don’t have an AMD GPU so couldn’t make use of FreeSync.

15 minutes ago, Cakefish said:

Thanks but I don’t have an AMD GPU so couldn’t make use of FreeSync.

Do you even notice screen tearing on your current display? Screen Tearing in general becomes less noticeable at 144hz anyways.

I doubt G-sync is worth the extra cost if you've lived without it for years as is.

I own a free-sync display with an AMD GPU and never even bother to turn it on as I don't notice nor care about screen tearing in most games.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do you even notice screen tearing on your current display? Screen Tearing in general becomes less noticeable at 144hz anyways.

I doubt G-sync is worth the extra cost if you've lived without it for years as is.

I own a free-sync display with an AMD GPU and never even bother to turn it on as I don't notice nor care about screen tearing in most games.

I use VSYNC in all games so no.

28 minutes ago, Cakefish said:

I use VSYNC in all games so no.

Then you probably won't care about adaptive sync. But I'd suggest turning off V-sync entirely so there's no added latency

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then you probably won't care about adaptive sync. But I'd suggest turning off V-sync entirely so there's no added latency

I hate screen tearing so that’s not an option for me and is why I’m interested in G-Sync. Thanks for offering your advice though.

13 minutes ago, Cakefish said:

I hate screen tearing so that’s not an option for me and is why I’m interested in G-Sync. Thanks for offering your advice though.

You could use fast-sync instead which reduces screen tearing without as much latency as V-sync. But you have to stay above your monitor's refresh rate for that to work.

Up to you I guess if It's worth the added cost, but I wouldn't say it's usually worth the extra price just for G-sync, especially at 144hz.

Spoiler