Motherboard can't read CPU Temps

Skull_Zockt

Hey guys,

Specs:

Mainboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k

RAM: 16 GB (I think its from Ballistix)

Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken 2

I was trying to undervolt my CPU, when I noticed that it wasn't even passing a Stresstest before the undervolt, due to too high temperatures.

I looked at the fan speeds while the Stresstest was running and I noticed that it stayed at 400 RPM even though the CPU was getting to about 87°C.

When I went into the BIOS I noticed that the CPU temperature was showing 0°C.

I dissassembled my build removed the cooler looked at the CPU and put the cooler back on. When I started the PC again just to test I still had no temperatures.

I attached 2 pictures. One is my Test Setup and the other the CPU Temp. in the BIOS. As you can see in the pictures I tested without a GPU.

Hope this is solveable. Thanks in advance,

Skull

IMG_20180408_141917_AO_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180408_141937_AO_HDR.jpg

Flashing bios might help.

ThinkPad masterrace

Me thinkpads:

X220, R30, T24, TransNote

10 minutes ago, gnomik said:

Flashing bios might help.

I've never done this. Whats the best way to do this?

Can I update the BIOS via MSI Live Updater?

2 minutes ago, Skull_Zockt said:

I've never done this. Whats the best way to do this?

Can I update the BIOS via MSI Live Updater?

I usually do it with a flash drive, sometimes a floppy, but apparently MSI live updater can do it as well.

ThinkPad masterrace

Me thinkpads:

32 minutes ago, gnomik said:

I usually do it with a flash drive, sometimes a floppy, but apparently MSI live updater can do it as well.

I'll try that, hopefully it fixes my problem

Bad news. I updated the BIOS and it still doesn't show the CPU temps.

Could it be that my mainboard is broken? I knew it was working when I got my PC 3-4 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Skull_Zockt said:

Bad news. I updated the BIOS and it still doesn't show the CPU temps.

Could it be that my mainboard is broken? I knew it was working when I got my PC 3-4 years ago.

To my knowledge cpu temp sensor is on the cpu itself. If you can, try putting another cpu in this motherboard.

ThinkPad masterrace

Me thinkpads:

Temp sensor may be toast. Best option to keep things and not go buy something would be to manually adjust your fan speed higher. Maybe pull things off, reset, and reapply thermal paste and cooler. Probably won't get your temps readout back but should stay cooler.

Could reset CMOS for giggles too. Though a BIOS update likely did this anyway, but wouldn't hurt.

19 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

Temp sensor may be toast. Best option to keep things and not go buy something would be to manually adjust your fan speed higher. Maybe pull things off, reset, and reapply thermal paste and cooler. Probably won't get your temps readout back but should stay cooler.

Could reset CMOS for giggles too. Though a BIOS update likely did this anyway, but wouldn't hurt.

Oh hey, just realized you DID already reseat the cooler. Never mind. Yeah, I'd say best route would be to manually set your fan speeds.

1 minute ago, RedAV8R said:

Oh hey, just realized you DID already reseat the cooler. Never mind. Yeah, I'd say best route would be to manually set your fan speeds.

What I don't understand is why can a program like CPU-Z or hwMonitor read the CPU temps and my mainboard not?

If the sensor itself would be broken, how would the Computer know the temperature?

Exactly, something is borked, and whats likely happening is your M-board can't read it for some reason, so its not there, which means your fans won't spin up, even with your temps going up. Like they'd never hit 87 had your fans ramped up.

53 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

Exactly, something is borked, and whats likely happening is your M-board can't read it for some reason, so its not there, which means your fans won't spin up, even with your temps going up. Like they'd never hit 87 had your fans ramped up.

I am currently undervolting the CPU and with that I can achieve acceptable temps with the fan spinning at 50%.

Thanks for helping, still don't know why the MoBo can't read the temps and Windows can, but at least it works now :)

Yep:)

2 minutes ago, Skull_Zockt said:

I am currently undervolting the CPU and with that I can achieve acceptable temps with the fan spinning at 50%.

Thanks for helping, still don't know why the MoBo can't read the temps and Windows can, but at least it works now :)