Hello I need to Windows I cannot find the package manager

Anon.

Hello I've been using Linux all my life and I cannot find the windows package manager where can I find the windows package manager.

WIndows doesn't haze a package manager. But depending on the version you are using there is a Windows Store.

I looked at that and it was disappointing there wasn't many applications there and it wanted me to make a Microsoft Outlook account so I didn't bother with it

I'm not sure I know what you're asking. What is it that you're trying to achieve?

Edit: If you're after the part of Windows that handles installing applications - it's built into Windows. You simply run the setup file (.exe or .msi) and it will guide you through the installation process.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Just now, chiller15 said:

I'm not sure I know what you're asking. What is it that you're trying to achieve?

I was trying to find the windows package manager I have never used windows before I've always been a Linux user and a package manager is where you can get a bunch of software from that is pretty much guaranteed to be non malicious in Linux I can just do sudo apt-get install x application it's a lot more simpler

There isn't same thing as what Linux uses. You go to softwares homepage and download latest version. Or you can use sites like Ninite to download multiple ones at once. Windows Store is closer to Play Store and AppStore than package manager.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

There isn't same thing as what Linux uses. You go to softwares homepage and download latest version. Or you can use sites like Ninite to download multiple ones at once. Windows Store is closer to Play Store and AppStore than package manager.

Not completely true

https://chocolatey.org

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just go on the internet google the program you want and download the setup.exe for that program and run it and it will install

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Not completely true

https://chocolatey.org

That still isn't integrated part and they don't even say on main page how wide range of packages there is. I imagine they can use places which have API for installers, but knowing Windows-verse, that's still worlds apart from Linux-style.

(I don't have opinion on which would be better. I've used both, and both have their advantages )

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The only centralised official Microsoft system that closely matches what you're asking is the Windows Store. However it is a mess and contains only a small selection of softare in the grand scheme of things. It is not also infallible to rouge apps appearing in the Windows Store either.

There are some other options, like the aforementioned Chocolatety and another called Ninite, but they aren't official. They are community or professionally developed software that will allow you to pick/choose software you want to install. The range is limited given how vast the number of Windows applications that are available at present.

Your best bet is to download the installer directly from the official website and manually install it.

17 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

The only centralised official Microsoft system that closely matches what you're asking is the Windows Store. However it is a mess and contains only a small selection of softare in the grand scheme of things. It is not also infallible to rouge apps appearing in the Windows Store either.

There are some other options, like the aforementioned Chocolatety and another called Ninite, but they aren't official. They are community or professionally developed software that will allow you to pick/choose software you want to install. The range is limited given how vast the number of Windows applications that are available at present.

Your best bet is to download the installer directly from the official website and manually install it.

Looks like I'll have to do that then normally when I use a Linux computer I just run a script I've made that just installs all the software that I would like to be installed and thank thank you all

25 minutes ago, Anon. said:

Looks like I'll have to do that then normally when I use a Linux computer I just run a script I've made that just installs all the software that I would like to be installed and thank thank you all

That's the way I've managed in the past in my workplace, before we bought into a software distribution solution. I had downloaded all of the software that we required and created a switch to install them silently (for those that accepted command line switches). It was espcially useful when reinstalling Windows on a lot of machines.

1 hour ago, Anon. said:

I was trying to find the windows package manager I have never used windows before I've always been a Linux user and a package manager is where you can get a bunch of software from that is pretty much guaranteed to be non malicious in Linux I can just do sudo apt-get install x application it's a lot more simpler

I'd say just download from trusted sources

As people said. Windows doesn't have an official built-in package manager. You do have chocolatey.org which you can use with PowerShell... but don't expect much from it.

But really, the closest thing is the Store app. It is a bit lacking, but that will take time before it grows. Here are some great finds from the Store:

• Paint.net
  • Spotify
  • Hulu
  • Amazon Music
  • VLC
  • Netflix
  • iHeartRadio
  • Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
  • Messenger
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Microsoft To-Do

If you like Linux, Windows 10 has what Microsoft calls: Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) - blog specific to this, to see progress, as it is on going development: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/

This allows you to run Linux based OS IN Windows 10. No virtualization, no translation, no system resources reservation, no simulation. It runs natively next to the OS, as if Linux is part of the OS. You even have access to your files found in Windows. Pretty crazy! But it works!

From the Windows Store, you can get the following:

• Kali Linux (yes sir!)
  • Ubuntu
  • Debian GNU/Ljnux
  • OpenSuse Leap 42
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12

Fedora also announced that they are joining in. Any Linux distro can join in. :)

If you want to start a GUI based Linux program, all you need is an XWindows Server. Once setup with your Linux, type say: Firefox, and Linux Firefox will open.

You can install MULTIPLE distros, and like a mad scientist you can cross talk commends between each other. Just keep in mind that if you sudo something, you are still limited to Windows restrictions.  So you need to open the terminal as Administration, and do your sudo command.

The reason why you need an account for Store, is to handle purchasing of apps / games / movies / etc.

Under Windows 10, apps / games / movies / themes / fonts(soon) you purchase follows your account. This allows you to use purchased apps on up to 10 devices you have (running Windows 10, of course). Please note, that if you do link your Microsoft account, your current account will be linked as well. This means next time you login, you'll need to put your Microsoft account (unless you are on a company domain). This is, once again, to handle apps purchases. In addition, doing this allows you to sync settings between Windows 10 devices, have OneDrive ready to go, syncing files between your system. This also includes your in apps settings.

You may also be interested that OpenSSH Client and Server which exists for Windows 10, it is in Beta, and not officially announced by Microsoft yet, so take it as it is. But, it is there.  Just do: Start > Settings (gear icon) > Apps > Manage optional features > Add a feature, wait for it to load, and you'll see in the list: "OpenSSH Client", and "OpenSSH Server"

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As people said. Windows doesn't have an official built-in package manager. You do have chocolatey.org which you can use with PowerShell... but don't expect much from it.

But really, the closest thing is the Store app. It is a bit lacking, but that will take time before it grows. Here are some great finds from the Store:

• Paint.net
  • Spotify
  • Hulu
  • Amazon Music
  • VLC
  • Netflix
  • iHeartRadio
  • Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
  • Messenger
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Microsoft To-Do

If you like Linux, Windows 10 has what Microsoft calls: Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) - blog specific to this, to see progress, as it is on going development: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/

This allows you to run Linux based OS IN Windows 10. No virtualization, no translation, no system resources reservation, no simulation. It runs natively next to the OS, as if Linux is part of the OS. You even have access to your files found in Windows. Pretty crazy! But it works!

From the Windows Store, you can get the following:

• Kali Linux (yes sir!)
  • Ubuntu
  • Debian GNU/Ljnux
  • OpenSuse Leap 42
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12

Fedora also announced that they are joining in. Any Linux distro can join in. :)

If you want to start a GUI based Linux program, all you need is an XWindows Server. Once setup with your Linux, type say: Firefox, and Linux Firefox will open.

You can install MULTIPLE distros, and like a mad scientist you can cross talk commends between each other. Just keep in mind that if you sudo something, you are still limited to Windows restrictions.  So you need to open the terminal as Administration, and do your sudo command.

The reason why you need an account for Store, is to handle purchasing of apps / games / movies / etc.

Under Windows 10, apps / games / movies / themes / fonts(soon) you purchase follows your account. This allows you to use purchased apps on up to 10 devices you have (running Windows 10, of course). Please note, that if you do link your Microsoft account, your current account will be linked as well. This means next time you login, you'll need to put your Microsoft account (unless you are on a company domain). This is, once again, to handle apps purchases. In addition, doing this allows you to sync settings between Windows 10 devices, have OneDrive ready to go, syncing files between your system. This also includes your in apps settings.

You may also be interested that OpenSSH Client and Server which exists for Windows 10, it is in Beta, and not officially announced by Microsoft yet, so take it as it is. But, it is there.  Just do: Start > Settings (gear icon) > Apps > Manage optional features > Add a feature, wait for it to load, and you'll see in the list: "OpenSSH Client", and "OpenSSH Server"

That is very interesting thanks a bunch for that info

3 hours ago, Anon. said:

That is very interesting thanks a bunch for that info

Also, a reason why there is no real push for a package manager under Windows, is that Windows doesn't really have (it's rare) conflicts of lib files, and as Windows main focus, since its foundations, was on PCs, developers doesn't follow the same school of thought that Linux dev. What I mean is that under Linux, it is about minimizing size by re-using what it can. Under Windows, dev don't think about IoTs, and limited storage devices. So programs are generally static linked to libraries, making them bigger in size, but reduces compatibility problems. In addition, this is mixed with Microsoft excellent backward compatibility efforts, it ensures that most programs continues to works after years. For example, people got Windows 95 programs such as Word running under Windows 10, I got this image editing program from 2000 running under Windows 10 (and any prior versions of Windows).  Basically, you don't have the same concerns.

Another point is that discoverability of programs is not as big of an issue as Linux, due to massive market share it has in the PC space. Find a program you like? Most likely it is for Window (well, unless you browse through Linux projects... but you get what I am saying). This is also mixed, with the fact that Windows has the concept of a setup wizard. Linux doesn't.

So installing programs is easy and a quick process. You have an *.exe (executable) or *.msi (Microsoft Installer), where when you execute it by double clicking on it, it will start a wizard. The wizard confirms what you are about to install (it doesn't just starts), and allows you, in many cases, customize the installation of the program (say what component you want to install or not), and the install location you want the program to be, and then the installer will do its magic.

These installers also add an entry to the OS in the program list with the program uninstaller. This allows a user  to easily uninstall the program from a click of a button  (Start > Settings (gear icon) > Apps > Apps & feature > pick a program > Uninstall).

*.msi's are Windows built-in installation wizard. These can be deployed in an enterprise environment. Meaning, companies IT can push programs to be installed on a group (or all) computers on their network joined to the domain.

*.exe's are standard executable. You have many setup makers that makes, their own setup solution that a software developer can use if they simply prefers it over MSI or seek features that MSI format doesn't provide, like a custom look & feel, or do more advance tasks needed by the setup.

You basically have to keep in mind that under Windows, the school of though is everything GUI's and GUIs matters. While on Linux, it is the opposite, GUIs are mostly second class, and the focus is that your programs runs under the terminal where possible. For example, say you work in a soft dev company, and you use a small internal tool for testing something. If it was under a Linux world, you would have it a standard terminal program. While, if you where under a Windows world, most likely, it would be a GUI based programs, even though a command line (terminal) version would have been perfectly acceptable also. Neither Windows or Linux forces you into a GUI or Terminal (CLI), you can do whatever you want, but it is just a school of thought.

again thank you so much for the information

13 minutes ago, Anon. said:

again thank you so much for the information

Your welcome. And welcome to Windows. I have edited my last post as it contained missing words and typos. I typed it too quickly. Sorry about that. I think now it makes a bit more sense :)