Looking for a javascript/UI developer

Method

I'm working on a project called Comparebench. I made a thread a bit ago detailing what this is and asking for some people to try it out.

At this point, it would be super helpful if I could find someone who's good with javascript and general user interfaces/design to help move this project along faster. I'm asking here mainly because I want to find someone who has the same general interest in this kinda stuff. Given this project is very early days, I can't pay anyone unfortunately (another reason I'm asking here) but would be happy to bring a potential individual on as a % owner. As I mentioned in the last thread,  If anyone does have interest in contributing to this project, reply below with some of your experience/knowledge/past work. I'd ask that you already have decent experience in javascript, and be at least 18. 

To make it a little more obvious as to what you'd be doing, the project (right now anyway) isn't using any frontend framework. Its all just straight up JS and jquery (and technically also Bootstrap). It's using a backend framework called Pyramid, which uses a frontend templating language. I'd like to move to a frontend framework, but I simply don't have time to go through all of that. Template languages and basic ajax calls have been fine for most things but again, early days.

A lot of it will be UI/UX work, making the site actually _look_ functional and usable, but really most of it will be working with ChartJS, pulling data down from various endpoints and displaying it properly either as raw data or in chartjs, frontend authentication/navigation. Pretty much I'm looking for someone to spearhead almost entirely the front-end of the project.

As a general note, I'd prefer someone who has maybe a year of real javascript experience or can point to a project of theirs/github profile.

I am using Jira and Confluence, so if anyone has experience with those, thats a plus too.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

and what will you offer in return for helping you out if you dont mind me asking? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

and what will you offer in return for helping you out if you dont mind me asking? 

On 2/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, Method said:

Given this project is very early days, I can't pay anyone unfortunately (another reason I'm asking here) but would be happy to bring a potential individual on as a % owner.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

I’m not good and I don’t have much interest in the position but W3schools and codecademy might help you out a bit. 

On 2/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, Method said:

I'm working on a project called Comparebench. I made a thread a bit ago detailing what this is and asking for some people to try it out.

At this point, it would be super helpful if I could find someone who's good with javascript and general user interfaces/design to help move this project along faster. I'm asking here mainly because I want to find someone who has the same general interest in this kinda stuff. Given this project is very early days, I can't pay anyone unfortunately (another reason I'm asking here) but would be happy to bring a potential individual on as a % owner. As I mentioned in the last thread,  If anyone does have interest in contributing to this project, reply below with some of your experience/knowledge/past work. I'd ask that you already have decent experience in javascript, and be at least 18. 

To make it a little more obvious as to what you'd be doing, the project (right now anyway) isn't using any frontend framework. Its all just straight up JS and jquery (and technically also Bootstrap). It's using a backend framework called Pyramid, which uses a frontend templating language. I'd like to move to a frontend framework, but I simply don't have time to go through all of that. Template languages and basic ajax calls have been fine for most things but again, early days.

I am using Jira and Confluence, so if anyone has experience with those, thats a plus too.

I would never call my self an expert, in fact, I am entirely self-taught, however, I know my way around javaScript pretty well.  In general, I am good with the front-end stuff for website building.  Just out of curiosity, could you go into a little more detail on exactly what you want to be done?

On 2/16/2018 at 8:20 AM, fpo said:

I’m not good and I don’t have much interest in the position but W3schools and codecademy might help you out a bit. 

I know javascript. What I dont have time for is the frontend tasks that need to be done. 

On 2/16/2018 at 10:24 AM, Technicolors said:

hey did you get my PM?

I did. Could you instead go into more detail here as to your skillset/experience?

6 minutes ago, TheGodlyJorts said:

I would never call my self an expert, in fact, I am entirely self-taught, however, I know my way around javaScript pretty well.  In general, I am good with the front-end stuff for website building.  Just out of curiosity, could you go into a little more detail on exactly what you want to be done?

A lot of it will be UI/UX work, making the site actually _look_ functional and usable, but really most of it will be working with ChartJS, pulling data down from various endpoints and displaying it properly either as raw data or in chartjs, frontend authentication/navigation. Pretty much I'm looking for someone to spearhead almost entirely the front-end of the project.

As a general note, I'd prefer someone who has maybe a year of real javascript experience or can point to a project of theirs/github profile.

4 minutes ago, Method said:

I know javascript. What I dont have time for is the frontend tasks that need to be done. 

I did. Could you instead go into more detail here as to your skillset/experience?

https://github.com/MartiniDesignz/New_Idea : here is a link to a website that I am currently working on, there is not much JavaScript though.  If you want to see where I wrote some javascript just download that code and open the Item.html file and you can see the little bit of javascript that I did.

Why do you need a spa framework (which is what I assume it is you're asking for)? Most projects get derailed because they try to do too much at once. There isn't anything wrong with server served html - the cult of JavaScript look down on it because it isn't "fancy" enough. 

26 minutes ago, nuc said:

Why do you need a spa framework (which is what I assume it is you're asking for)? Most projects get derailed because they try to do too much at once. There isn't anything wrong with server served html - the cult of JavaScript look down on it because it isn't "fancy" enough. 

I pretty obviously need more than to just serve up an html file. The frontend needs to actually _do_ something. I don't need a single page, nowhere did I say that. Angular and the like _can_ run as a single page, but they don't have to.

This isn't my first rodeo, and I've managed teams before. This is a full project with a roadmap, specific scope and goals.

Re spa: I wanted clarification as the request in terms of FE was vague. I made an assumption, turns out it was an incorrect assumption - when most people say they want a javascript FE, they're talking about a spa consuming an api.

Yes, you can use angular/react/etc as just the view layer and return it along with each page view; but, for what I have seen in your other thread I don't think that's necessary - you can get away with (for mvp) simple form submissions. If graphs would be the only "intensive" part of the page, these can also be generated by your server as images and returned with the associated data set.

This is my opinion after many a greenfield, strangulation, and complete rewrites. You may wish to ignore it, and that's your right. I'm not saying you never need a spa (or similar), just that it's probably not the best idea right now - then again this isn't my project.

17 minutes ago, nuc said:

Re spa: I wanted clarification as the request in terms of FE was vague. I made an assumption, turns out it was an incorrect assumption - when most people say they want a javascript FE, they're talking about a spa consuming an api.

Yes, you can use angular/react/etc as just the view layer and return it along with each page view; but, for what I have seen in your other thread I don't think that's necessary - you can get away with (for mvp) simple form submissions. If graphs would be the only "intensive" part of the page, these can also be generated by your server as images and returned with the associated data set.

This is my opinion after many a greenfield, strangulation, and complete rewrites. You may wish to ignore it, and that's your right. I'm not saying you never need a spa (or similar), just that it's probably not the best idea right now - then again this isn't my project.

Check out the project. Its fully functional right now, I just need more people on this to get it further along, so I can focus on more infrastructural additions. For all intents and purposes, it _does_ use simple-ish form submissions.