Question about connecting two routers

Hey guys,

So I am very new to the whole networking thing and was curious how I would set something up. I recently got a Raspberry Pi and am running Pi-hole. I also live in an apartment that has a lot of WiFi interference. Thus, our 4 man apartment is covered by two different routers (presumably each with their own modem, as all we get is a wall socket and the people that run the complex will not give us any indication of how the apartments are wired).

I want to connect the two routers so that the people not using the router with the Pi-Hole can still use it. Is the solution as simple as buying a network switch and connecting the two? And then setting the non-Pi-hole router's DHCP settings to go through the Pi-Hole? I am also aware that I could run OpenVPN on the Pi-Hole and then they could just VPN to the Pi-Hole, but that seems like it would hit us double for data usage (we get severely throttled due to bad ISP and apartment complex going with the cheapest bidder).

Thanks in advance

Do you get a different subnet when changing to the other router?

10 minutes ago, A3r0Sp1k3 said:

Do you get a different subnet when changing to the other router?

Yes

Edit: I'm actually not 100% sure. How would I check this?

Not entirely sure if this would work, but if you can get in to the router's management page, you could try using port forwarding to the Pi and then just connecting the 2 routers with a long ethernet cable.

3 minutes ago, A3r0Sp1k3 said:

Not entirely sure if this would work, but if you can get in to the router's management page, you could try using port forwarding to the Pi and then just connecting the 2 routers with a long ethernet cable.

Can't I just avoid port forwarding and just run the second router as an access point and use the first one (pi-hole) as the top point on the network pyramid (I don't know the actual term) at that point? 

You possibly could, but I imagine the 2nd modem connection would stop working, and everyone in the building would connect to the internet through your one, which you said was already heavily throttled.