DVI-D cable broken... kinda?

HoneyBooBoo

Alright, so I have a cheapo 144hz korean monitor that I bought just over a year ago and I decided that I wanted to do some nice cable management. I bought a gas-spring dual monitor arm and realised that I would have to buy a new DVI-D cable so that I am able to have my cable run through the cable area on the arm. So I purchased a new DVI-D cable and plugged it into my monitor and it didn't work... I was confused so I tried plugging in the old DVI-D cable and it worked. Thinking it might be the cable that is the issue I plugged it into another monitor but both the new and the old cable worked. So my monitor must be the issue right? Well why is that my old DVI-D cable works, but not the new one if both cables work on different monitors? The monitor stays and doesn't show that it has 'no signal'. The nvidia control panel also detects that the monitor is there. I'm really confused and have no idea what do.

Edit: Not only did I buy one new cable but I thought that it was the cable that was the issue so I bought another... and another... so I have tried multiple new cables but only the original one works.

Is it possible that the original was a dual link cable and the new one is not?  I know my 120Hz monitor (LG Flatron W2363D) requires a DVI-D Dual Link cable, but I think that was just to enable the 120hz and 3D functionality of the monitor.  Do the pin placements look the same?

e5lgH.png

5 minutes ago, Motorider71 said:

Is it possible that the original was a dual link cable and the new one is not?  I know my 120Hz monitor (LG Flatron W2363D) requires a DVI-D Dual Link cable, but I think that was just to enable the 120hz and 3D functionality of the monitor.  Do the pin placements look the same?

e5lgH.png

They look the same to me (Old on top)

20180114_172409.jpg

That is very strange, they are both DVI-D Dual link cables, they should both work.  Sorry, I have encountered issues in the past with people confusing the cable types.  Figured it was worth asking.  

You say it shows up in the Nvidia control panel, which tells me you are running multiple displays, but also I assume, the monitor in question shows in the windows Display settings as well and if so;

A:  Make sure it's enabled, either by Duplicating or extending the desktops (done through Windows Display settings or by pressing the Windows key + P and selecting "Duplicate" or "extend", depending on your preference)

B: Make sure the resolution and refresh rate are set to one that can be displayed by the monitor (this is usually done automatically, but it usually defaults to 60hz, regardless of the monitors capabilities)  Go to display settings>Display Adapter Properties>Monitor Tab>Screen Refresh Rate

C: If the monitor has multiple input sources, make sure it is set to the one you want, in this case "DVI Digital" vs DVI Analog, RGB or HDMI

9 minutes ago, Motorider71 said:

You say it shows up in the Nvidia control panel, which tells me you are running multiple displays, but also I assume, the monitor in question shows in the windows Display settings as well and if so;

A:  Make sure it's enabled, either by Duplicating or extending the desktops (done through Windows Display settings or by pressing the Windows key + P and selecting "Duplicate" or "extend", depending on your preference)

B: Make sure the resolution and refresh rate are set to one that can be displayed by the monitor (this is usually done automatically, but it usually defaults to 60hz, regardless of the monitors capabilities)  Go to display settings>Display Adapter Properties>Monitor Tab>Screen Refresh Rate

C: If the monitor has multiple input sources, make sure it is set to the one you want, in this case "DVI Digital" vs DVI Analog, RGB or HDMI

A: The monitor is definitely enabled, I can move my cursor onto it and other windows will go onto it.

B: It should work at 144hz especially since it did with the other cable but I tried doing 60hz and even making my own custom resolution at 61hz just incase that the default resolutions weren't working. 

C: I can't change the input source for some reason because that the onscreen menu doesn't get displayed... which is very strange. 

I also found out that if I plug the new DVI cable into my motherboard the monitor doesn't get recognized at all. 

19 minutes ago, Motorider71 said:

B: Make sure the resolution and refresh rate are set to one that can be displayed by the monitor (this is usually done automatically, but it usually defaults to 60hz, regardless of the monitors capabilities) 

I can hear the noise that indicates that a device has been plugged in is connected, I can't think of any explanation as to why one cable would work but another would, let alone 3 others. 

the old cable is most likley of higher quality

when you increase res and or Hz you increase data in the signal cable, things like cable length etc start to have more of an impact