Weird computer behavior during a split second of a power outage

VoltaIsFuture

When there is a power outage for a split second, computer does not turn off. It just restarts itself, and i see the windows boot log, computer boots up and everything works normally from there, is that normal??

I would think so, I've never had a desktop running during a power outage so I wouldn't really know for sure

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, VoltaIsFuture said:

When there is a power outage for a split second, computer does not turn off. It just restarts itself, and i see the windows boot log, computer boots up and everything works normally from there, is that normal??

mine has done that a few times. 
It can cause some issues especially if you were saving files or anything was being written to. 

So I try to run a chkdsk after every power outage.

Just now, Ashe said:

mine has done that a few times. 
It can cause some issues especially if you were saving files or anything was being written to. 

So I try to run a chkdsk after every power outage.

Ya so it is normal for it to restart when it is only a split second of a power outage????

Just now, VoltaIsFuture said:

Ya so it is normal for it to restart when it is only a split second of a power outage????

yes. desktops dont run on battery unless you have a UPS (uninterupted power supply) to keep it on during poweroutages. 

Just now, VoltaIsFuture said:

Yes, it's probably a safety feature of the power supply since the capacitors can only hold so much charge. If these are frequent you should buy a UPS to prevent damage to your system.

I edit my posts a lot.

5 minutes ago, VoltaIsFuture said:

this can happen sometimes. some systems are more immune to split second power outages than others. like this one time my main system rebooted while the old computer that i used to serve files and printers to the network didn't even notice something happened.  

If power outage happens often and you are afraid of losing data, you could buy a power bank or whatever it is called where it keeps a computer running until you do save shut down in a case of power loss. I only saw such thing once in my life ages ago, not sure if people are actually using this at home.

1 minute ago, bigneo said:

If power outage happens often and you are afraid of losing data, you could buy a power bank or whatever it is called where it keeps a computer running until you do save shut down in a case of power loss. I only saw such thing once in my life ages ago, not sure if people are actually using this at home.

Ya it is called a UPS

3 minutes ago, bigneo said:

i think most people who know those things exist still don't use one at home because they tend to be expensive

3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

this can happen sometimes. some systems are more immune to split second power outages than others. like this one time my main system rebooted while the old computer that i used to serve files and printers to the network didn't even notice something happened.  

Ya, at my house my bro's pc does shutdown during a split power outage but my computer  just restarted itself!

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

i think most people who know those things exist still don't use one at home because they tend to be expensive

Ya but in my opinion if you are buying a  computer that costs over 2 grands then it is worth it to buy a UPS

1 minute ago, VoltaIsFuture said:

Ya, at my house my bro's pc does shutdown during a split power outage but my computer  just restarted itself!

yeah, but this "server" i had didn't even skip a beat while most other devices running in the house at that time reacted to the outage in some way. almost creepy 

6 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

yeah, but this "server" i had didn't even skip a beat while most other devices running in the house at that time reacted to the outage in some way. almost creepy 

Ya, i dont know. Me and my bro have pretty similar rigs, except he has a regualr PSU and i have a 80 + bronze PSU. So i really dont know.