DisplayPort 1.3 8K and 3D 4K

cDNA

I just came across this article about the new 1.3 standard of DisplayPort that should be announced in Q2 of 2014.

Basicly the article says that it will support both 8K and 4K 3D. Also the bandwith isnt double because we are getting to the limits of copper.

My take on this? Great! Give us all the pixels!

Article: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/12/3/displayport-13-to-support-8k2c-standard-expected-in-q2-2014.aspx

(I cant quote im on a phone)

Ps:i hope this isnt a repost, i searched for as well as i could

I still don't get why Display Port isn't more common on monitors. Basically all graphics cards has Display Port out, and it doesn't cost royalties to implement unlike HDMI. It is also better than HDMI. So why isn't it more common on monitors?

Anyway, really nice to see a new version of Display Port.

First time hearing about this Display Stream compression standard and I am a bit worried. I really hope it's not something that are built into cables and ports. I don'twant my DP cable to add extra compression to the video signal, that's something that should be done on the video card in software, so that I have control.

Aaaaaaaand hdmi 2.0 is out of date (if it wasn't already).

How is DP not the industry standard :'(

how many tv's u know have display port? its just cause they pused HDMI no one pushed DP as hard. DP isnt a common interface (sadly)

how many tv's u know have display port? its just cause they pused HDMI no one pushed DP as hard. DP isnt a common interface (sadly)

Oh yea, I know.

I just wish that when TVs first started going HD that they'd used DP. It's a better connector physically and electronically.

Sucks that HDMI won (VHS vs. betamax all over).

Oh yea, I know.

I just wish that when TVs first started going HD that they'd used DP. It's a better connector physically and electronically.

Oh they wouldn't do that.  The TV makers are the ones that all got together and created HDMI in the first place, and now sit back and collect royalty fees for it.

Oh yea, I know.

profits arent in nice things you got to remember that. thats why $500 HDMI cables exist. 

Oh they wouldn't do that.  The TV makers are the ones that all got together and created HDMI in the first place, and now sit back and collect royalty fees for it.

profits arent in nice things you got to remember that. thats why $500 HDMI cables exist. 

All too true :'(

Good, display port is king, and always will be king.

Yes.

It's a shame it's not as mainstream as I would like :( We must spread the display port! xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I just came across this article about the new 1.3 standard of DisplayPort that should be announced in Q2 of 2014.

Basicly the article says that it will support both 8K and 4K 3D. Also the bandwith isnt double because we are getting to the limits of copper.

My take on this? Great! Give us all the pixels!

Article: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/12/3/displayport-13-to-support-8k2c-standard-expected-in-q2-2014.aspx

(I cant quote im on a phone)

Ps:i hope this isnt a repost, i searched for as well as i could

Reaching the limits of copper . Hmm we already have fibre optics internet and tele comms , would it be possible to implement it for uses like this ?

I don't know if the resistance of the cable has anything to do with bandwith, but of it has, why dont they make the cable out of silver instead of copper?

Reaching the limits of copper . Hmm we already have fibre optics internet and tele comms , would it be possible to implement it for uses like this ?

I call bullshit on that "we're reaching the limits of copper" claim. Tunderbolt can do 20Gbps per channel, and DP 1.3 can "only" do 8.1Gbps.

Might be other issues though, like range or the number of channels DP uses.

I still don't get why Display Port isn't more common on monitors. Basically all graphics cards has Display Port out, and it doesn't cost royalties to implement unlike HDMI. It is also better than HDMI. So why isn't it more common on monitors?

Anyway, really nice to see a new version of Display Port.

First time hearing about this Display Stream compression standard and I am a bit worried. I really hope it's not something that are built into cables and ports. I don'twant my DP cable to add extra compression to the video signal, that's something that should be done on the video card in software, so that I have control.

Its not common on consumer monitors because its not common on the consumer devices that would plug into said monitor. Its actually been quite common on business monitor for years.

Dp wasnt around when hdmi was developed as the cable standard for video in tge living room.

Oh they wouldn't do that. The TV makers are the ones that all got together and created HDMI in the first place, and now sit back and collect royalty fees for it.

Yes they did that because there was nothing available at the time that did what they wanted. My father actually still has a rear projection 1080i tv that has a standard dvi port on it.

$500 cables exsist because they can. Also hdmi was so much initially because they could charge that much because it was the best and still is the best standard for video in your home theater setup. Also most people didnt know there were better options available to buy them cheaper.

It is but fiber is just one cable so you need something on each end to interpret the data which is fine.
I don't know if the resistance of the cable has anything to do with bandwith, but of it has, why dont they make the cable out of silver instead of copper?
I already have pro hdmi cables where the cables are a thicker gauge (24awg up to 15ft and 22awg 25ft+) and have silver plated copper wire. These are usually used for longer runs or runs with a bunch of interferiance. You can also buy ferrite beads for them as an optional extra. Also you dont want to know how much 100% silver wire is youd fall over. Ive looked into it for making my own "audiophile" cables.
I call bullshit on that "we're reaching the limits of copper" claim. Tunderbolt can do 20Gbps per channel, and DP 1.3 can "only" do 8.1Gbps.Might be other issues though, like range or the number of channels DP uses.
Yea thunderbolt uses 1 thick cable with and interpreter on each end like fiber which is why this is possible. DP acutually uses a thinner gauge wire than hdmi and can achieve more bandwith. This is one of the selling points of dp as both dp and hdmi still have certain cables that carry certain parts of the stream. Dvi and vga do it tge same was as well. So basically your reaching the limits of the gauge of copper that dp currently uses. The thing is there going to avoid raising it because then all previous cables wouldnt work with the new standard.

Phone being derpy answering to comments..

I call bullshit on that "we're reaching the limits of copper" claim. Tunderbolt can do 20Gbps per channel, and DP 1.3 can "only" do 8.1Gbps.

Might be other issues though, like range or the number of channels DP uses.

You are mistaking, thunderbolt is 20Gbps TOTAL, i dont know how many channel there is in a thunderbolt connector but there is several. And they are each not reaching the 8.1Gbps of displayport 1.3 which is in total reaching much more than thunderbolt.

You are mistaking, thunderbolt is 20Gbps TOTAL, i dont know how many channel there is in a thunderbolt connector but there is several. And they are each not reaching the 8.1Gbps of displayport 1.3 which is in total reaching much more than thunderbolt.

No? Thunderbolt 1 is four 10Gbps channels (two for upstream and two for downstream). With Thunderbolt 2 you take two Thunderbolt 1 channels and create a single 20Gbps channel out of them. With a controller like Falcon Ridge, you get two Thunderbolt 2 channels for a total of 40Gbps over a single cable. Oh and Thunderbolt also provides some power which DisplayPort do not, so if you removed that from Thunderbolt you could squeeze out even more bandwidth.

If they switched over to PCIe 3.0 then they might have been able to get even more than 40Gbps out of Thunderbolt.

If you don't believe me, check for example Anandtech.

Thunderbolt might have more pins for data than DisplayPort though.They might be running into issues where they can't get more than 8.1Gbps per pin in DisplayPort, but they could just increase the number of pins and get much higher bandwidth that way.

Aww yeah. Paving the way for 120Hz 2560x1440 monitors. Exciting stuff.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

*snip*

Thunderbolt might have more pins for data than DisplayPort though.They might be running into issues where they can't get more than 8.1Gbps per pin in DisplayPort, but they could just increase the number of pins and get much higher bandwidth that way.

That more about display ports specification and how its designed which is for data transfer mostly not display out data if you understand what I mean.