Is this a solid build for the money?

1. Budget & Location

Budget is $800 USD Shipped to Alaska. Shipping to AK, I had to shift some parts around to make use of the Newegg/Shoprunner >$400 deal and had to buy some parts (PSU, Case, SSD) from Amazon at a slight premium for Prime.

2. Aim

It'll be mainly used for photo editing and CAD work, as well as some design work/photo editing in Photoshop and some video editing in Premiere. I'll be entering college in a year, so it'll be used for whatever I need it to be in my major (likely EE/CS). I wouldn't mind being able to game some though if I want to - Rocket league looks pretty fun.

3. Monitors

2 monitors at 1080p, maybe three in the distant future.

4. Peripherals

Got it covered.

5. Why are you upgrading?

My laptop just died (won't POST) for seemingly no reason, so I need to get a new PC. I've been looking and asking around on reddit, and I have a build pretty much finalized, but I thought I should check here as well.

Here's what I have put together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hjm96X

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $804.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-21 00:14 EDT-0400

It basically maxes out my budget when the AK factor is considered.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's solid. You can definitely do better than $180 on a 1050 Ti unless you're really married to that particular model, and it's always a good idea to make sure you're either getting B-die RAM (you're not) or RAM on the AsRock QVL.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yeah, that's solid. You can definitely do better than $180 on a 1050 Ti unless you're really married to that particular model, and it's always a good idea to make sure you're either getting B-die RAM (you're not) or RAM on the AsRock QVL.

I actually had a Ti for I think $160 but I $1.02 under newegg's $400 cutoff so decided to go with the higher-end model. What's the difference with b-die RAM? How do I check if it's on the QVL? Can't afford to really spend more than this, and this seems to be the cheapest.

Edit: It's not on the QVL, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, somevegetables said:

I actually had a Ti for I think $160 but I $1.02 under newegg's $400 cutoff so decided to go with the higher-end model. What's the difference with b-die RAM? How do I check if it's on the QVL? Can't afford to really spend more than this, and this seems to be the cheapest.

AsRock's site should have a memory QVL for that board. As I recall, theirs is fairly large.

B-die is just a type of RAM manufactured by Samsung. For whatever reason, Ryzen takes very well to B-die RAM, especially when overclocking said RAM. B-die RAM tends to be found in high-performance kits: 3200MHz with a CL14 timing, or anything rated higher than 3200MHz. That's why I would suggest looking at the QVL and trying to find something on there first.

That said, if you're buying from Amazon Prime, you've got a very lenient return policy to work with. Pick up the RAM you've chosen if you can't find anything at or near the same price on the QVL, run with it, and if it won't hold 2666MHz or is unstable, order some new stuff and return it after the new RAM arrives.

On the whole, you've got a really solid system there.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

AsRock's site should have a memory QVL for that board. As I recall, theirs is fairly large.

B-die is just a type of RAM manufactured by Samsung. For whatever reason, Ryzen takes very well to B-die RAM, especially when overclocking said RAM. B-die RAM tends to be found in high-performance kits: 3200MHz with a CL14 timing, or anything rated higher than 3200MHz. That's why I would suggest looking at the QVL and trying to find something on there first.

That said, if you're buying from Amazon Prime, you've got a very lenient return policy to work with. Pick up the RAM you've chosen if you can't find anything at or near the same price on the QVL, run with it, and if it won't hold 2666MHz or is unstable, order some new stuff and return it after the new RAM arrives.

On the whole, you've got a really solid system there.

Alright thanks! Although the RAM is actually coming from newegg - how's their return policy?

I found this QVL but it only seems to go up to 2400MHz.

2 minutes ago, somevegetables said:

Alright thanks! Although the RAM is actually coming from newegg - how's their return policy?

I found this QVL but it only seems to go up to 2400MHz.

If you have Newegg Premier, they're pretty lenient. Not sure how they are if you don't.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

If you have Newegg Premier, they're pretty lenient. Not sure how they are if you don't.

Hmm, looks like they only give 85% if it's opened. Oh well.

50 minutes ago, somevegetables said:

1. Budget & Location

Budget is $800 USD Shipped to Alaska. Shipping to AK, I had to shift some parts around to make use of the Newegg/Shoprunner >$400 deal and had to buy some parts (PSU, Case, SSD) from Amazon at a slight premium for Prime.

2. Aim

It'll be mainly used for photo editing and CAD work, as well as some design work/photo editing in Photoshop and some video editing in Premiere. I'll be entering college in a year, so it'll be used for whatever I need it to be in my major (likely EE/CS). I wouldn't mind being able to game some though if I want to - Rocket league looks pretty fun.

3. Monitors

2 monitors at 1080p, maybe three in the distant future.

4. Peripherals

Got it covered.

5. Why are you upgrading?

My laptop just died (won't POST) for seemingly no reason, so I need to get a new PC. I've been looking and asking around on reddit, and I have a build pretty much finalized, but I thought I should check here as well.

Here's what I have put together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hjm96X

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $804.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-21 00:14 EDT-0400

It basically maxes out my budget when the AK factor is considered.

Thanks!

Looks good, but I would go with a board with 4 RAM slots for better upgrade in the future. I changed the case since it's newer, has a nice side panel and same price but you can change it back. I'll leave a picture of the case at the bottom, it's still new so not many review videos for it out yet.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mznzD8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mznzD8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($215.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.38 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $803.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-21 01:29 EDT-0400

main.png

30 minutes ago, Shura said:

Looks good, but I would go with a board with 4 RAM slots for better upgrade in the future. I changed the case since it's newer, has a nice side panel and same price but you can change it back. I'll leave a picture of the case at the bottom, it's still new so not many review videos for it out yet.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mznzD8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mznzD8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($215.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.38 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $803.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-21 01:29 EDT-0400

main.png

I've actually already ordered the stuff, but that case does look a lot better if the size is similar... I doubt the seller will ship to AK, but I'll check it out. I can cancel the n200.

Edit: Doesn't look like I can find it shipped here for a reasonable price. Bummer. I would kinda like a window to show off the cable management I plan to do but I'll survive.